Emotions In The Music Room | Chapter 13

Jaren's POV

The rest of the day went by smoothly, and now wee were sat at our lunch table, talking quietly between each other.

"You should totally join the cheer squad if you're good." John points out, causing me to sigh. He doesn't get it.

I don't want to be a cheerleader because I don't like attention on me. Plus, the only person I'd know on the squad would be Scotty, and it's not like we're best friends— or even friends, for that matter. I don't know, I used to do gymnastics so I know I'd do well, but I seriously don't want more attention on me.

There's enough as it is, with me dating John and all.

"So what about you? You've gotta be good at a sport." I say, leaning my head on my hand as I watch him eat his food.

"Ah... Well.. Lung cancer really seems to hinder your ability of playing sport." He replies, rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly. My mouth dries at this and I nod my head in understanding. "Shit, sorry Jaren. I shouldn't have brought that up." He mumbles, reaching across the table and grabbing my hand.

"No.. I'm sorry for asking a stupid question like that." I mumble, glancing away. We had talked a little more about it recently, and I've found out that he's already on stage 4. That's the last stage of lung cancer, and apparently only 4 percent of people survive it.

But I know that John will survive it— he has to.

Apparently they caught it late, and so he found out that this is his last year. Or, so the doctors say. There's a chance it could be two years, but two years at max.

If he doesn't get help.

"I don't know why you keep resisting our help, John." I grumble, looking down at my tray of uneaten food. "You may be able to survive this." I add, biting my lip.

"There is like a four percent chance, Jaren. I don't want to waste the rest of my life hooked up to machines. I wanna spend the rest of my life here, with you." He mumbles, grinning at me with his dorky ass smile.

"I want to be with you for the rest of my life, though. I don't want to lose you." I whisper, tightening my grip on his hand. He seems to ponder this for a while, his brows knitted together as if I just revealed something insane to him.

"Ok. You're right." He whispers, causing my heart to soar. "I'll do it. Take me to the cancer people or whatever they're called."

I can't help but grin widely at this, and suddenly I'm leaning over the table to kiss him. He smiles against my lips but kisses back, sighing contently as I pull away.

"Thank you." I whisper, smiling brightly at him.

"Yeah, Yeah." He grumbles, waving me off. I stare at him, determination coursing through my veins as I reach into my pocket to text Eri.

Jaren: Johns in can u schedule appointment?

Eri: already done, it's tmrw so u guys get to miss some school

Jaren: ur the best mom ever love u bye

Eri: I know. Bye

I look up at John and see him watching something over my shoulder. I look back and I see that everyone at Jonathan and Luke's table are all crowding around Jonathan who is showing them something on his phone.

"You miss them, huh?" I ask, catching John off-guard.

"Yeah, sometimes. I miss the good old days, middle school days. Video games after school, drugs not being on any of our minds and we all still thought we were straight. Besides Brian, at least." He replies, still watching them. "Plus, I didn't have cancer then either." He adds, grimacing slightly as he says it.