Chapter Thirty - Rewrite

A month later...

Lauren's POV

Y/N was getting stronger by the day. She was starting to eat better, she felt more energized and happy.
My baby smiled every single day, we made sure of it. The girls would come see her, just as did mine and Ally's family. And Mackenzie, oh Mackenzie. She would get anyone to bring her to the hospital so she could spend every moment of the day with Y/N. In sickness and in health, she would quote.
Y/N waited for her every day at the same time, 9am.
But today, she wasn't coming. Lucy texted me saying that Mackenzie had a check up appointment today and she had some shopping to do because Mackenzie was growing out of her clothes. I hope I get to say the same thing in the near future.

"Baby?" I called for her and she turned her head to look at me. "Baby, Kenzie won't be able to come see you today." I said calmly.
"Why not?" She said, turning her head to the side like a little puppy.
"She and Lucy have a few things to take care of in the city. But she can come tomorrow." I said, trying to give her a little hope.
"It's okay, Mommy." She shrugged, hugging Mr. Good Bear tight to her chest.

Ally came back from the cafeteria and sat by Y/N's side, they started talking and I walked to my purse and took a book out of it. I sat back in my seat and started reading from where I had stopped. I could hear Y/N and Ally whispering at each other and as much as I would love to know what they were saying, I didn't want to seem nosy. And then Ally cleared her throat.

"Mommy?" I looked up. "It's been... A while since we went to the beach. I..." She took a breath. "I miss it."
"I'm sure you do, baby. But we can't go." She looked really upset by my answer.
"Why not?"
"Because you're just now getting better, we can't risk you going out and getting an infection. And the beach sure does sound like the perfect place to get one of those." I rambled on. Ally got up from the bed and walked to me, her small hand rested on top of my right shoulder and she looked down at me with a soft smile.
"Can we talk?" She asked and I nodded, because I didn't think saying no to her would be a good idea.

I put the bookmarker on the right page, Ally took my hand and led me to the hallway.
A few doctors and nurses walked past us and Ally smiled at them as they walked by. She took my wrist in her small hand and made me look at her in the eyes.

"Lauren I need you to pay very close attention to what I'm about to tell you." She said, looking directly into my eyes. I nodded and let her continue. "Y/N is fine. Her blood work came back good the last time, the doctor said the likelihood of her getting worse was less than 5%. She's already in remission, honey. She's going to be fine. Our baby is not dying anymore, she's going to live, and she wants to start right now." She sighed. "She wants to go to the beach, so she can swim with her friends and her family, and build sand castles, and run after little crabs and look for seashells, she wants to live. So why not let her?"

I looked away from her face to see Y/N sitting on her bed with her legs crossed, small little tuffs of red hair had started to grow, and her skin was getting back its glow, she had a smile on her face as her eyes locked with mine, and I smiled back seeing the small gap where one of her teeth was missing. My little girl was going to be fine. I sighed and looked back at Ally and nodded.
I went to the doctor's office that afternoon and asked her about this little trip we were planning on doing and she was actually thrilled we would be going out. She advised us to put on a lot of sunscreen on and truly just be very careful of the sun, but other than that Y/N should be able to have fun like any five year old at the beach. However, she did have to be back by 8pm because that's when visiting hour ends and she has medicine that she has to take after that time.

When I told Y/N and Ally the news, they couldn't contain their excitement. Ally went to my house to go grab everything we would need for the beach, while I called everyone to ask if they would like to come with. Lucy would be meeting us there with Camila and Mackenzie, Dinah and Normani would be going too, my parents would be meeting us there with my siblings and Ally's family, and they would be bringing food.