Epilogue - Rewrite

10 years later...

3rd Person's POV

There was a brown haired girl sitting on the grass, her arms thin and tanned. Her long brown hair blowing in the wind, in her left ring finger sat a beautiful blue gem. She rolled the ring in her finger twice, a smile on her face.
Suddenly she was no longer sitting on the floor, but laying on it, a body on top of hers. Red hair was all she could see, and a small expense of light skin.

"Ouch. Get out." She said between laughs, trying to push the girl away, but she only hugged her tighter.
"Make me." The girl on top of her said laughing cutely. When they both stopped laughing they looked into each others eyes. "Gosh, I love you so much."
"And I love you." Mackenzie said, reaching up to connect their lips in a sweet but short kiss, leaving Y/N to chase for her mouth when she retreated.

They adjusted themselves, Mackenzie sat back up and Y/N laid down with her head on her girlfriend's lap. The brunette started playing with the curly red locks, eyes never leaving the girl on her lap. Y/N looked up at her and smiled.

"What were you doing before I got here?" Y/N asked, grabbing the other girl's hand and playing with her fingers.
"Thinking." She said nonchalantly.
"About what?"
"Us." Y/N looked into her eyes, eyebrows quirked up.
"Yeah? What about us?" Mackenzie shrugged. "Come on."
"Just... I was remembering when we were younger." She said. "Everything we went through back then and since." She sighed. "Your cancer for example." Y/N looked back down. "I remember being so scared. I was terrified I was going to lose you."
"But I'm still here." Y/N said, lacing their fingers together. "And I'm not going anywhere, you're stuck with me." She said motioning to the ring on the girl's finger. Kenzie chuckled.
"I know that babe." She said. "But I wasn't just thinking about that."
"Oh yeah? What else were you thinking about?"
"The memories we've made together. You and me. Our families." She smiled at the thought of everything they had already lived together. "Our first trip to Disneyland after you got cleared from the hospital. You went crazy about the princesses and I had never seen Mamá with so many Mickey ear bows in my life." They both laughed.
"I still have mine." The red head said with a fond smile.
"I was also thinking about your Moms' wedding." Y/N sighed.
"It really was beautiful. And I have to admit, we were the cutest damn flower girls this world has ever seen." She said with a wink, making her girlfriend laugh at her antics.
"We sure were." She said. "I also remember vividly the day the twins were born." She huffed a sigh.
"How could anyone forget? That was a hectic day, I thought Aunt Camz was about to punch someone in the face." Mackenzie grimaced at the memory of her mother in such pain. "But it was worth it. Those are the cutest little beasts in the world right there."
"You're not wrong." She booped the girl's nose making her scrunch it up and giggle.
"That's not something I usually am." They both laughed.
"Can't forget about little William and baby Mia." Mackenzie said.
"I could never, they don't let me." Y/N rolled her eyes, thinking about her little brother who annoyed her half to death and her baby sister who as soon as she saw her, squealed so loud anyone on the other side of the world could hear her.
But she wouldn't trade them for anything. She used to be beaten up and unloved, felt like she was nothing and unwanted. Now she had a whole family who did nothing but love her. She would be forever grateful for that.

They stayed a little longer just sitting there, sometimes changing positions on the ground so they could be closer, sometimes exchanging a few kisses here and there. Behind them the sun was starting to set, a mix of reds, oranges, yellows, blues and pinks. Y/N called it, rainbow sunset, her favorite kind.
In their little love bubble it took them a while to hear the sound of a car honk or feel their phones vibrating underneath them. But Mackenzie noticed it eventually and separated herself from her girlfriend's face, making the other girl pout at the loss, she kissed her cheek and checked her phone.