XVI• Slytherin

The sun was high in the sky on the first weekend at Hogwarts and the entire school was outside, afraid that the sun would disappear after the weekend. The halls and corridors of Hogwarts were completely deserted.

As they were so sure that the school was empty, Cecilia and Regulus strolled around. Their hands were clasped together as they chatted casually about anything and everything.

'We should go to the common room,' Regulus said out of nowhere.

Cecilia was confused. They were in different houses-

'The Slytherin common room,' Regulus explained once her saw Cecilia's confused look. 'My dorm, more specifically.'

'Have you forgotten that I'm a Gryffindor?' Cecilia asked. 'Like an actual Gryffindor? My last fucking name is-'

'I know,' Regulus came to a stop, forcing Cecilia to stop also. 'But nobody will be there. I promise.'

Regulus looked too excited for Cecilia to reject. So, she hesitantly agreed.

They were standing at the entrance of the Slytherin common room way to soon for Cecilia's liking. She had been in every other house except for Slytherin and she never thought that she would be. But now, she was standing in the dark dungeons, in front of a stone wall with the Slytherin crest on it.

Regulus muttered the password and the wall slid to the left, creaking as it did so. A long, narrow passageway was revealed. Regulus tugged on Cecilia's hand, leading her through the passage. They came to a set of double doors, tall and green. Regulus pushed them open to unveil the Slytherin common room.

The Slytherin dungeon was a room with greenish lamps and chairs. The dungeon extended partway under the Black Lake, giving the room a green tinge. The common room had lots of low-back black and dark green leather sofas, skulls and dark wooden cupboards.

Looking up, Cecilia noticed that the room had two stories with bookshelves lining the balcony. A large portrait of Salazar Slytherin hung between the two levels; he was dressed in green, obviously.

Cecilia's favourite part of the entire room was the window that took up an entire wall. The window looked into the Black Lake and Cecilia could see the shadows of creatures living in the lake.

'Woah,' is all Cecilia could say.

Regulus chuckled. 'I don't know what you were so worried about,' he said. 'We are very welcoming here in Slytherin.'

Cecilia was about to remind him that the room was completely deserted. Instead, she smiled and rolled her eyes.

Regulus lead Cecilia up the staircase to the dorms. She followed him quietly, her hand loosely clasped in his.

The dorms had the same green tinge as the common room and a similar window, but smaller.

'Every dorm has a different one,' Regulus said when her noticed Cecilia's eyes on the window. 'They follow the natural rock shape.'

Cecilia walked over to the window and pressed her fingers against the glass. Regulus sat on the bed closest to the window.

'Ok. This is officially the coolest house in Hogwarts,' Cecilia said. 'You guys literally live under the lake.'

Regulus lay down on his bed, his hands crossed behind his head and he admired the way the greenish tinge of the lakewater highlighted Cecilia's cheekbones. 'Now it's cool but when you're a little first year, it would be a bit scary.'

Cecilia gazed at Regulus for a moment. Then, she crawled onto her bed and settled herself between Regulus and the wall, which was covered by the emerald hangings of the bed. 'Were you afraid?' She joked.

Regulus chuckled. 'I don't get scared.'

They fell into a silence, comfortable and peaceful. Cecilia began fiddling with the curtain. 'What do you want to do after Hogwarts?' She asked casually.

Regulus thought for a moment. 'Not sure yet. Might move somewhere far away. Settle down with someone and live the rest of my life like that.'

'Kids?'

Regulus shook his head. 'Not really into the idea of children.'

Cecilia didn't reply; she didn't know how to reply. Instead, she focused on the curtain again. She pulled it away from the wall.

Cecilia was surprised to see a mixture of swirls and shapes on the white wall. Each one was painted with a different shade of black or grey. Cecilia stared in wonder at the soft brush strokes that seemed to tell their own story. She pulled the curtain even further. The entire wall behind the curtain was painted beautifully. Regulus seemed to have discovered colored paint as pinks, blues, yellows and reds began appearing in the mist of all the designs.

'Wow,' Cecilia whispered as she goggled at the mural in the wall. 'You did this?'

Regulus sighed. 'I lied. I do know what I want to do after Hogwarts.'

'Art,' Cecilia smiled, still transfixed by the painting on the wall.

Regulus stayed quiet before muttering 'Mum thinks it's stupid.'

Cecilia snapped her head towards him. 'It's not stupid.'

Regulus shrugged. 'It kinda is. I should be focusing on quidditch or potions. Not oil paints and brushes.'

Cecilia placed both her hands on Regulus' cheeks, forcing him to look at her. Her fingers caressed his cheekbones. 'You should persue whatever you're passionate about, Reg.'

'That's not how it works in the most Noble House of Black,' Regulus shrugged.

'You're name doesn't define you. You can always change your beliefs.'

Regulus gave her a half-smile before leaning in to kiss her.