XXXXVI• The Cave

Before Regulus could open his eyes and identify where they had apperated to, an overwhelming amount of salt-filled air invaded his nostrils and stung his lungs. His eyes blinked open, and Regulus noticed he was standing by some sort of cliff.

"The Dark Lord brought Kreacher through there," Kreacher croaked, pointing at a cave in the cliff. It was so hidden, Regulus wouldn't have noticed it if it hadn't been pointed out.

Once Regulus entered the cave, a tingling feeling took over his body. The cave barely put a dent in the cliff, but Regulus knew there was something magical about this place.

"Kreacher's blood," the elf muttered. "Was put on that rock over there. It opened a hidden door."

Before Regulus looked at where Kreacher was pointing, he noticed the large cut that ran along most of his little forearm. Regulus felt another flame light up inside of him.

The pair approached the rock Kreacher had recognised. The elf lifted his uninjured arm towards Regulus, who merely scoffed and gently pushed it away.

"I got it Kreacher," Regulus said and before the elf could object, Regulus had used his wand to cut the top of his finger. He smeared the blood on the rock and watched it slide to one side, creaking loudly. Regulus compared the size of his cut to Kreacher's, and another strong dislike for Voldemort washed over him.

The hidden room was much larger than the first cave. The majority of the floor was a lake of a greenish tinge. An island stood in the centre of the lake, and Regulus knew that's where they were going.

"The Lord grabbed something out of thin air and pulled," Kreacher told Regulus. "It was a boat."

Once Kreacher gave Regulus an idea where the invisible object was, they both walked around with outstretched arms. It was Kreacher who found it, calling Regulus immediately.

It felt like some sort of slimy chain and after a few pulls, it was revealed to be just that. Regulus watched as a boat emerged from the lake and slid towards them. They climbed into the boat, which moved as soon as they were seated.

Regulus glanced at the murky water, but looked away when he saw movement. He ignored it, telling himself he was seeing things.

The boat bumped against the island and Regulus clambered out, followed by Kreacher. A bowl stood on a pedestal in the centre of the island with a smaller bowl perched beside it. Looking in, Regulus saw what he was looking for. A green locket, almost identically to the one he had made before he left his home, the one that was weighing down his pocket right now.

The locket -one of Voldemort's horcruxes- had been submerged in a glowing emerald liquid. An invisible barrier stopped Regulus' fingers from touching the liquid, but he found he was able to access it with the smaller bowl. Regulus understood he would have to drink it like Kreacher did.

Regulus took the locket from his pocket and handed it to Kreacher. "I have to drink this potion, Kreacher. Once I've finished it, I want you to swap the lockers and destroy the real one, okay? Destroy the horcrux, and maybe Kayla will grow up in a world without Voldemort."

"Master Regulus," Kreacher cried. "Allow Kreacher. Kreacher would be honoured to-"

"No Kreacher," Regulus spat. "I forbid you to drink the potion. You must do what I saw."

The house elf bowed his head, forced to abide by his master's orders. Regulus sighed and rummaged in his pocket again, pulling out the note he had written earlier. "If Kayla ever comes home, I want you to give this to her."

Kreacher took the note, his hands and bottom lip shaking. Regulus turned back to the potion, scooped some of it up with the bowl and drank it.

Nothing happened. Regulus felt absolutely fine. He got another bowl full and let it slide down his throat. That's when the pain started.

It started in his chest, but quickly spread all over Regulus' body. He shut his eyes to block out the pain, white hot. He took another drink, then another. It didn't get easier, the pain didn't falter. It only grew worse.

Regulus collapsed, the bowl slipping from his fingers. His head hit something, and Regulus felt his own blood trickling down his neck. Regulus could barely see, but he felt Kreacher's little hands gripping his arm and could hear the elf calling him.

"The potion, Kreacher," Regulus gasped. "I need to finish the potion."

Kreacher squeaked and continued to force feed his master the horrible potion. Despite Regulus begging him to stop and pushing him away, the elf continued with tears in his eyes.

Regulus was begging Kreacher to stop because the visions had started. The memories came back in flashing images. The worst moments of Regulus' life.

He saw Sirius being hurt by their parents, and Regulus felt the pain of the curse the one time he had stepped in. He could almost feel Voldemort's wand on his skin and the fierce look in his scarlet eyes as he branded the Dark Mark in Regulus' skin. He heard the swears from his fellow Slytherins when they beat him half unconscious. He felt his heart shatter as he saw Cecilia close her eyes for the last time.

Regulus was crying by the time Kreacher poured the last of the potion down his throat. Regulus fell silent, the occasional whimper escaping his throat.

"Water," he croaked. Kreacher nodded and frantically ran to the edge of the island, scooping up a bowlful of water. But before he could reach Regulus again, something burst out from the water.

Inferi. Regulus squinted open his eyes to see dead corpses crawling onto the island. He watched as Kreacher scrambled to get to Regulus, spilling the water in his rush.

Regulus had no energy left and could do nothing as one of the inferi gripped onto his ankle and pulled. The jagged rocks scraped his back but he didn't mind. He didn't care if he died. The pain was still there, dull but it felt permanent. He had nothing left to live for, Cecilia was gone, Kayla was with Sirius. Regulus knew Sirius would give her a good life. And Kreacher would destroy the horcrux; the world would get better.

Kreacher...

The house elf was still beside Regulus, desperately trying to pull him out of the inferi's grip. Another corpse grabbed onto Kreacher, and Regulus knew it wouldn't take them as long to drag the elf beneath the waves.

"Kreacher go," Regulus whispered, his voice sore. "Go. Destroy the horcrux. Kreacher."

"Master Regulus!" The elf shrieked in a way that tore Regulus apart. The elf was basically in the murky water by now, his little knuckles turning white as he gripped onto a rock.

"Kreacher go!" Regulus yelled, his throat feeling like it was about rip in half. "I order you to disapperate!"

The loud crack sounded and Regulus was alone. Well, alone with the inferi.

Knowing that all the people he loved most were safe (Kayla, Kreacher, Dirk, Kristen, Sirius, his parents) Regulus smiled, teary eyed. The coldness of the water shocked him, but he made sure to take a deep breath before he was pulled under the surface.

Regulus had always been a rather cautious boy, some might even call him a coward. But as he faced death without a trickle of fear, he didn't feel like much of a coward at all.

But perhaps that was because of Cecilia. Because Regulus knew he'd be seeing her very soon, and that was all he wanted.

A/N
I may have shed a tear but we won't talk about that :(