XXXI• News

NEWTs we're approaching. Faster than Cecilia was prepared for. As May ended and June arrived in a burst of sunshine, all students of fifth and seventh year were preparing themselves for their upcoming exams.

Cecilia was determined to get good grades. She had never been the type to ace a test, and her OWL results still haunted her to this day. But she was stubborn, and was willingly to put in the work to get what she wanted.

One Saturday afternoon, Cecilia's usual study partner, Kristen, has decided she'd had enough of studying. So Cecilia brought the only other person she could think of to the library.

"This can't be good for you," Dirk commented as Cecilia got stressed while searching for a quill in her book bag.

Cecilia glared at him and continued to look for her quill. Once she found it, she opened her astronomy book and began writing down notes.

Dirk didn't plan on studying. He decided that it was too late to try learn something new, even though the exams were two weeks away. Instead he examined Cecilia; her facial expressions and her posture.

"Have you told your father?" He asked.

Cecilia didn't even look up. "No."

"No?" Dirk said, eyebrows raised.

"No. I haven't," Cecilia said. She threw her quill down beside her book and looked at Dirk. "And I don't plan to."

"So you're just going to do this on your own?" Dirk asked. He was trying to knock some sense into her.

Cecilia didn't answer right away. She picked up her quill again and started doodling stars onto her piece of parchment. "I'm well able to do it on my own," she said eventually.

Dirk sighed. "But you don't have to."

Cecilia glanced at him but didn't comment. They fell into a silence again; Cecilia studying astronomy, Dirk studying Cecilia.

Their silence was interrupted a half and hour later. Two girls, no older than 16, approached their table, giggling madly.

"Can we help you?" Cecilia asked when the girls stood and watched them for a few moments.

The girls glanced at each other, giggling again and nudging one another. Cecilia looked at Dirk, who was just as confused as she was.

"Um," began the tallest of the two. "We just wanted to know... if it was true?"

"If what was true?" Cecilia asked. She was started to get annoyed at them for interrupting her study time with such nonsense.

"That you're... you know," said the other girl, starting to giggle again.

"We heard that you were pregnant and wanted to know if it were true?" the first girl spoke again.

Once the question left the girl's lips, Cecilia's entire chest tightened. Her mouth dropped open as she found it hard to breath.

"Hey! Clear off you two," Dirk said, waving his hand at them.

"So it's true then?" asked one of the girls, Cecilia didn't care which one it was anymore. The girl's smile almost made Cecilia think Christmas had come early.

"I said clear off!" Dirk said as he stood up. Not wanting to get on the bad side of a seventh year Slytherin, the girls left.

Dirk turned to Cecilia immediately, worried yet cautious. He didn't know how Cecilia would react.

Cecilia hadn't moved, still staring at the place the two girls had stood. She was so still that Dirk wouldn't have been surprised if she'd been petrified.

"Where did they hear that from?" Cecilia finally whispered. She turned to Dirk. "Did you tell somebody?"

"No! Of course not," Dirk insisted as he crouched down in front of her.

The reality of the situation seemed to suddenly hit Cecilia. She jumped from her seat, letting out a cry.

"How do they know?!" Cecilia exclaimed. "If they know, who else does?"

"I'm sure-" Dirk began.

"What if the whole school knows?" Cecilia's hands were grasping her hair so tightly, Dirk was afraid she'd pull the strands from her scalp. "I need to find Kristen."

With that, Cecilia dashed from the library. Dirk gathered her stuff before following her.

A/N
This is kind of short sorry. What do you think will happen next?