Chapter 2

I started to see the sky go black along with the fires glow become brighter as Newt and I walked towards it. Instantly I felt like I belonged but I couldn't figure out why it just didn't seem right. Thomas had noticed me walking along with Newt and came towards us.

"Well hello there Greenie." Thomas said as he rustled my hair like he was someone who was close to me. It made no sense. None of this did. Not the Maze not the Glade or the Gladers. That's when I heard the noise that nearly made my skin crawl. It was such a high pitched shriek I couldn't sworn it was me.

"What the hell is that?" I said with an uneasy tone as I looked at Thomas and started to shiver. Not because of how nervous I was but because the air had become chilly. I knew that the maze now was not normal. It made no sense why it would shriek like that.

"That is what we call Grivers. That's why you don't go into the maze when the doors close. Nobody ever survives a night in the maze." Thomas said as he looked me in the eyes. I could now put together why Ben had tackled me before I ran to far into the maze. It's dangerous. It's like it was alive and now I was finally beginning to understand.

"Let me guess the maze is alive right?" I asked with a nervous laugh as Newt just shook his head with disgust. I could tell that I struck a nerve somehow and I couldn't figure out what I said.

"It's not a joke Grace. It's the most dangerous place in here. It changes every night. You can't survive in there over night. Why would you even joke about that?" Newt said quite loudly grabbing everyone's attention as I just looked him in the eyes as I backed away. I started to feel dizzy and wasn't sure where to turn, all I could do was run. So that's what I did.

"Really Newt. Way to go." Thomas said shamefully towards Newt. Causing Newt to just walk off as I heard someone calling out my name. I just assumed it was Thomas because that's exactly what it sounded like. Then once again I felt something grab my legs once again.

"Are you really going to try and do this again Greenie?" I heard Ben ask me as he let go of my legs and stood above me with his hand stuck out. I couldn't help but laugh because I knew I couldn't scream he was just doing what he does best. And no I don't mean running I literally mean tackling people.

"No, it's just I can't feel trapped. It's like predator versus prey. When the prey feels trapped or threatened by the predator they flee." I said as I took Bens hand as he pulled me up and awkwardly pulled me into a hug which made me warm. I hadn't realised how cold I was until Ben was hugging me.

"Look Newt means well. The reason he gets so defensive about the maze is a lot of the Gladers have died in there he doesn't mean it. It'll all be better by tomorrow." Ben said to me as he let go of me. He had a smile on his face, so in return I decided to make the stupidest look I could've made.

"How do you like them apples?" I said with a laugh to Ben as I continued to make faces at him. He was trying so hard not to laugh as we made our way back into the group.

"Hey there she is!"

"Finally another Greenie who is a female."

"Welcome to the Glade Grace." I heard a familiar voice tell me as I spotted someone who was pushing his way into the group to see what everyone was talking about. His eyes were bloodshot, I could tell something was wrong and that's when our eyes met. I realised who I was looking at and it could be no other then Minho. I started to smile but he just looked away. Thomas had noticed what was going on and came over to my side.

"I see Minho's finally realised what a beauty you are. I'm telling you something gonna happen and you two are just meant to be." Thomas said with a laugh as he rustled my hair again and I swatted his hand away.