Chapter 10

I remember the two distinct screams I heard as I was being held by the one called Minho. The one who I knew was keeping me safe no matter what. The one I absolutely love. But the one scream that ached at my heart was from not Newt. Considering the fact that he was the one who took the knife to her throat and cut her own jugular vein was the most heart wrenching part. But the fact that Thomas was holding Natalie like a baby and had one fist on the wall with tears stream down his face broke my heart. It was like seeing something that changes you. Complete and utter frustration about what had just happened, but at the same time wanting to understand why and how.

"Newt we can move her somewhere." I started to say as Minho's arms slowly started to relax from around my body as I moved hair out of my face and headed towards Newt who was just towering over Teresa's limp, lifeless, ice cold body.

"She's not worth it." Newt said in a monotoned voice just staring at Teresa. I couldn't help but feel like this was somehow supposed to happen. The death, the venom, the antidote. The love between people. All of this was somehow adding up. It was like the maze the puzzle inside and we were the pieces trying to fit. But it wasn't working.

"I don't ever want to look at her again." Newt said as he turned to me with a tear streaming down his cheek as he had anger in his eyes. I slowly stepped towards him expecting him to reject whatever I was going to do but to my surprise that wasn't the case. We were stuck in an embrace for awhile before I started to feel my shoulder become damp. Then came the sobs from someone I never thought I would see break down. Newt. It was the kind of moan that when someone's grieving you grieve with them. It was heart wrenching to hear the sobs again. All I kept whispering to myself was Melanie over and over again before I heard Newt speak out as he pulled away.

"I had a brother. His name was Jeremy, about 5. He was adorable and sweet but then they did something. What Teresa mentioned the people who work for W. I. C. K. E. D. they did it to him. Changed him, morphed him into some mutation that wasn't human anymore. Didn't even recognise me when I tried to help him. He nearly killed me." Newt said as I felt Minho's hand touch mine as Newt lifted up his shirt to reveal a long deep scar trailing from his chest down to his stomach. I couldn't believe it. Everyone had a story with the past, all was worse than mine.

"Her name was Melanie." I had said looking at Newt with pain in my eyes. I felt a hot stream of liquid start to run down my cheek as I looked the other direction and continued to talk as I felt
Minho intertwine his fingers within mine.

"She was my sister. Loved her more than anything in the world. But they separated us. Tortured her, stung her, poked her, injected her, did experiments on her. They make her scream at the top of her lungs. And there was nothing I could do about it. I had to watch them as they cut her open and started to inject her with some red dye. Her voice I will never forget because I couldn't save her. All she kept screaming was GRACE PLEASE DONT LET THEM DO THIS SAVE ME PLEASE. IT HURTS PLEASE TELL THEM TO STOP. They didn't even let me help her. They made me watch her take her final breath. I had to watch my sister die in front of me and that is something I can never ever forget." I said as I pulled my hand away from Minho's and started to walk off slowly to be alone. That's when I heard footsteps expecting it to be Minho but the person surprised me. It was Thomas.

"They were twins. One boy and one girl. Evan and Lucie." Thomas started to say as he sat down next to me. The look in his eyes was horror. More of terror then horror like whatever he has seen was replaying over and over again in his mind.

"They made me kill them both." Thomas said as tears rolled down his cheeks.

"One with a knife that wasn't sharp enough to do anything so I repeatedly had to stab over and over again. And the other was with a gun. It was quick and easy." Thomas said as he wiped the tears off of his cheeks and he looked me in the eyes. He was curious I could say that about him. More curious than he normally is.