1. Social Services & Adoption

"Kakashi..."

"Minato-sensei?"

"Kakashi..if we don't.."

"Don't say that! No. You are going to make it out alive. You will!"

"Kakashi. If Kushina and I..if we don't make it.."

"I want you to take care of Naruto."

"Minato-sensei.."

"Please? Promise me."

"I...I promise.."

::

Kakashi sighed, gazing at the picture of his late sensei and his wife, thinking back to the promise he had made years ago.

He wanted to. He desperately wished to provide a home and loving family to the person who deserved it most.

His sensei's son.

But he was 20 years old and knew nothing of parenting.

He was the literal definition of "disaster gay."

He could barely take care of himself, let alone a small child.

But he had the funds to support them both..

And he'd love the chance to care for someone..

To have a reason to come home after every mission...

Kakashi fought with himself all day until he finally made his decision.

::

Naruto would be turning 4 soon.

He frowned, kicking the pebble and listening to the crunch of gravel under his feet.

October 10 is the one day of the year where everyone seemed to hate him even more. They'd beat him up, break his leg, and yell insults the entire time.

The fox.

He unconsciously held a hand up to his stomach.

Naruto wasn't stupid. When playing outside meant the judgment and vulnerability to others, he spent his time inside, reading.

The library provided tons of books on sealing at his disposal, and it wasn't hard to get his hands on foreign books on Biju.

Especially when Miki-chan the librarian was so nice.

He flinched, shaking himself out of his thoughts and clutching the book in his hands tighter as he hurried away from the library and back into the orphanage.

Immediately, he bumped into one of the meanest boys in the orphanage: Leroy.

He was new to the orphanage, but had quickly asserted dominance with his mean look, posse, tall figure, and the tendency to punch everyone.

He plucked the green book out of the shaking hands of Naruto, turning it over with a bored stare.

"The Art of Sealing, by Haizo Min" he read.