14. Adoption, the Sequel

Yes I know TenTen's last name is different from last time but I only noticed like way after so I'm too lazy to change it

Under the eyes of the Konohan government, and by law, TenTen Akagi was technically an adult.

Which meant she could technically do legal things.

Like, for instance, separate herself from a family that only ever brought her pain and misery.

Just giving examples.

::

Mrs. Akagi had stormed to the Hatake Residence on a Sunday, knowing Kakashi was out on a mission and both children were home.

She rapped on the door lightly, huffing when it wasn't immediately opened. She knocked louder.

"I'm coming, I'm coming! Jesus Christ—"

"Who's Jesus—"

"Shush Naru."

Mrs. Akagi growled and raised her fist to knock once more when it opened. She looked down at a girl (at least she thinks it's a girl) with short hair that stuck up from odd angles, sporting an oversized purple hoodie. It's sleeves went past the tips of her fingers and long enough that Mrs. Akagi couldn't tell if she was wearing pants underneath.

Her eyes blazed.

"TENTEN?!"

TenTen yawned, rubbing her eyes with one sleeve. She mumbled something tiredly, not fully aware of the furious woman.

Mrs. Akagi glared darkly at her daughter, raising her hand and slapping TenTen sharply across the face, enough to make her hand sting.

TenTen's eyes widened and she clutched her cheek, staring at the woman before her in mild fear. Her eyes watered as Mrs. Akagi began scolding her.

"TenTen Akagi!" The girl felt a tear slip down her cheek. Her mother could have called her anything. Any insult, but she chose the worst of all. A reminder of the family she was shackled to, no matter how hard she tried.

"You run away from me for months, thinking I don't know? How retarded do you think I am! You cut your hair," Mrs. Akagi tugged on the short strands painfully. "And walk around dressed like that with a boy around!"

TenTen hiccuped. "H-he's gay." In one last act of defiance, TenTen stared directly into Mrs. Akagi's eyes.

"Even worse!" Mrs. Akagi raised her hand as if to slap her again.

Quickly, TenTen stepped back and moved to close the door, fumbling to lock it but she couldn't see through the blurry tears. She hiccuped and more tears slipped down as she heard Mrs. Akagi try to force the door open, shouting.

"Back off, crazy lady!" Naruto yelled, shoving the door closed and locking it. He rushed to TenTen's side and hugged her tightly.

TenTen slid to the floor and sniffled, pulling up her hood to hide the tears.

Naruto stood and ran to the window where Mrs. Akagi was yelling and gesturing rudely. "We'll be threatening with legal action!" He screamed through the glass. "Now stay away!" He forced the curtains closed and walked back to TenTen.

"Hey, sis." He brought down his voice to a soft whisper. "Come with me, yeah?" Tugging lightly on her wrist, Naruto led her to the kitchen and sat her down on the counter. Rounding the counter to the pantry, Naruto prepped some snacks and tea.

"I've got your favorite tea, and some chips and ice cream. We can binge watch your favorite show?" He suggested. TenTen sniffled and nodded slowly.