7. Birthday

October 10.

10 years ago, a beast ravaged the village, killing shinobi and civilians alike. No one was safe.

The Fourth Hokage Minato and Kushina Uzumaki had just had their baby boy, but were to soon give him up to save everyone.

They would die soon.

But this boy, their son, Naruto Uzumaki, would live on.

He would grow up, find love, family, friends, and live his life happily.

And so they smiled.

As they accepted death with open arms.

::

October 10.

Naruto's birthday.

It was coming up in a few days, and all his friends couldn't be more ecstatic.

They were going to throw him the best birthday party in the world! Granted, they had never thrown a birthday party, much less a surprise party, on their own, so they asked for the aid of one adult.

They had never met Kakashi Hatake before, and were slightly scared with the title that surrounded him, but TenTen was quick to reassure them that Kakashi was a big, emotional softie.

Even when it was chore day.

TenTen shuddered, war flashbacks flickering through her mind. All those dishes...the never ending sweeping...

Sasuke was the only one brave enough to knock on the door of a pleasant looking house—TenTen refused, saying they had to "woman up and do it themselves."

Within seconds, the door opened and standing in the doorway was a tall, lean man with a strong build and a mask over his face. His hair was odd, and was gray. Was he old? He didn't seem that threatening though.

The children collectively shifted uncomfortably.

"Hm? Who are you all?" He asked, his voice low and soft. "Oh, hello TenTen. Are you staying over tonight?"

TenTen grinned, although it didn't really meet her eyes. "You know it, Kakashi."

The children visibly relaxed. This was fine. It was all fine.

"I-U-Uh, Hatake-sama. W-we're friends of N-Naruto." Hinata stammered, bowing lowly.

Kakashi chuckled. "No need for the title or the bowing, Princess Hinata."

Hinata reddened. "S-Sorry!"

'OH MY KAMII I'M GOING TO PASS OUT. NARUTO'S FRIENDS OH MY LORD HE IS SO POPULAR THESE ARE SUCH ADORABLE KIDS LOOK AT THAT ONE HE'S STARING AT THE FLOOR AWKWARDLY AND HINATA IS RED AND OH LOOK AT THAT GIRL'S HAIR AND THAT BOY'S EYES—"

"Why don't you all come on in? Naruto is out in the market right now, but I can make some tea."

The children stammered their thanks and agreement, shuffling into the house.

::

"So, we were thinking of throwing Naruto a surprise birthday party." TenTen began cheerily.

Ino nodded, gripping her cup of tea. "We've already got the presents," she glanced at Shikamaru, who was yawning lazily. "Well, most of us."

Kakashi grinned. "So you were hoping to do it here?" He offered happily. "Of course you can. It would be the perfect place, to surprise him when he comes home from the academy."

Kiba scratched his head, Akamaru having run off to play with the other ninkin. "But we're in the academy." He pointed out. "Will we have to skip class to leave early and get here to surprise him?"