13. Her Graduation

Gosh sorry it's been awhile

Naruto smiled, shifting his weight from foot to foot.

Kakashi gave him a reassuring pat on the head, ruffling his blonde head of hair.

Then the students flooded out. Many held disappointed faces, others were jumping around in triumph. In the crowd of people, Naruto searched for his best friend.

There. TenTen came walking out, smiling brightly and laughing at something Neji had said, who was walking beside her.

Naruto's eyes lingered on the latter before he zeroed in on the Konoha headband gripped tightly in TenTen's hand.

"TenTen!" He yelled, waving excitedly.

She grinned, pulling Neji forward as she rushed to Naruto. "We did it!" TenTen cheered.

Naruto threw his arms around her and squeezed tightly. "Of course you did! I told you, you'd to great!" He released her and beamed at Neji. "I didn't have a doubt that you'd make it!" After a small moment of hesitation, Naruto gave Neji a quick hug before chattering with TenTen about becoming a real shinobi.

Neji found himself freezing, smiling so widely his face hurt and as if he was in a daze. He broke out of it when he realized Hiashi was across the field, hands clasped behind his back and staring at him coldly.

Neji's smile faltered as he quietly bid goodbye the them and walked over, his feet dragging slightly as he did so. He just wished that moment lasted longer.

Naruto's smile diminished slightly as he watched his friend's smile morph into a frown as he approached his uncle.

"Come on Naru." TenTen tugged lightly on Naruto's hand, pulling him in the direction of home.

Naruto nodded.

He looked back once more, then let himself be pulled away.

::

"Hey, uh, Naru?"

Naruto looked up from his book, grinning at his best friend. "Yeah?" TenTen fiddled with her long hair, her gaze flitting about nervously.

"Could you help me with something?"

::

TenTen doodled on her paper, her legs swinging under the table in boredom. She did, however, perk up as the door opened with a click and Neji stepped in quietly.

His shy demeanor fell as he brightened when he saw her, rushing to his friend's side. Neji sat down and took in TenTen's new appearance. "I like your hair." He smiled softly.

TenTen grinned, subconsciously tugging on it. Naruto had masterfully cut it into a boyish length and style, with some fixes by Kakashi. "You think? Is it too short?"

Neji cocked his head to the side, quirking a single eyebrow. "Maybe a little..." he laughed. "No, no, I'm joking." He noticed TenTen's unimpressed stare. "I'm joking. It's perfect."

His friend grinned, her cheeks tinting pink from the sincere compliment. "Gee, Neji, you're quite eager, but I gotta tell ya', I'm not looking for a relationship."

Neji paused to process her words before his face bursted red in embarrassment. "TenTen! God, what will I do with you." Ignoring her snickers, the heat receded from his face and he glanced at the rest of the recent graduates. "Anyways, who do you think'll be on your team?"

TenTen scowled, crossing her arms. "Nearly everyone here sucks. And I swear, if we don't get placed on the same team I will cUT SOMEONE—"

"TenTen."