Dianne- Thirty Six

"This is the happiest I've ever been," Dianne smiled, as Joe got back into bed with their coffees.

"Me too, who'd have thought we'd be in this position?" Joe stated, passing her the hot drink, "there you are birthday girl!"

"Definitely not me, do you remember last year in bed at Zöe and Alfie's?" Dianne said, leaning her head against his shoulder.

"Yeah, we had that conversation," Joe said, stroking Hugo's head. He couldn't believe they'd had a dog for 5 years, it felt like he'd been with them forever.

"God yeah, and I was trying not to cry talking about it," Dianne reminisced, as she glanced over to her left.

"Yeah, and Zo was nearly due and you were happy for her but it was breaking your heart as well." Joe nodded, combing their hands on the crisp sea of white cloth.

"And now look," Dianne said, as Joe's gaze followed her's.

"Mental, still can't believe it." Joe said, the biggest grin stretched across his face.

"Same, I was losing hope, and then your birthday," she drew his gaze back to her.

"We had no idea," Joe chuckled, taking another drink, looking out onto the rolling fields behind their dream home.

"It was because we had basically given up, we weren't looking anymore," Dianne explained, moving closer to him.

" 'Mm," Joe nodded in agreement, "we all but gave up basically and then the universe was like, actually..."

In that moment, both of the couple's heads and Hugo's turned to the left again, attracted my some quiet movement.

"I can't get over it," Joe whispered, as Dianne lifted their baby daughter out of the cot and into her arms.

"Happy 5 day birthday Hannah, we love you..." two kisses were pressed into the soft forehead of the baby that they had waited so long for.

"Best Birthday Ever!"

~The End~