Chapter 8: Ephemeral

Sal's POV
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"So... Lar-Bear, do ya have any writing prompts for me today?"

He tapped his chin with his sketch pencil, never taking his hazel eyes off the paper not one time while speaking,

"Uh..."

Awaiting his response with my legs crossed on the bench, facing him with determination filling me to write down every word or... Line of word he says holding a pen and my notebook in my hands, prepared to take him at any--

"Broken Glasses, Howling Wind, A Dying Fire--"

"Wait, Wait, Wait!! Hold on, lemme get the first few--"

"Thin blankets, A Babbling Brook, Stormy Nights, an Empty Library--"

"Stopit!!"

Chuckling softly at my struggle as I quickly wrote down all I could remember and re-read it out loud to him to make sure I got them all.

"Okay, so I got.. Thin Blankets, Broken Glasses, Howling Wind, A Dying Fire, A Babbling Brook, Stormy Nights, and an Empty Library... Is that all?"

He nodded.

"For today. S'all I got."

Smiling under my prosthetic at him even though he couldn't see it, I couldn't seemed to stop myself from moving to a fresh page and using one of my prompts.

"Empty..... Li....brary."

Saying my words out loud as I wrote them, I then moved down to the next line of the paper and let my imagination flow from there, writing down all the words I thought of in sentences matching the said location.

"You using one now?"

"Uh-huh.."

"Which one?"

"Library.."

Was all I could say as words kept flowing out of me like a broken dam.

"... Good luck. I couldn't figure out anything to use with that.. so.. I don't know how to help you with it if you may need help. I still can't believe you got me in that creative writing class. I don't even write. I can barely English, man."

Rolling my eyes and using my leg to kick him gently, he dropped his pencil and glared daggers at me as I smirked behind my prosthetic and tried to hold back snickers.

"Because taking classes you wouldn't think you'd need might come in handy later on in life, Lar, you don't know what's gonna happen by then!"

He simply rolled his eyes and regained his position on the bench, with his leg crossed over the other, acting as a desk to hold his drawing pad so he wouldn't have to hold it awkwardly in his hands.

"I think Phillip might be joining us for lunch, Lar."

"Really?"

Nodding as I contiuned to write down the words forming sentences in my head.

"Yep.. uh... He..."

Pausing to read over the sentences that I had wrote to make sure they made sense and didn't seem odd, I then looked up at Larry and gave him another nudge with my foot to get his attention. Looking up at me with a slightly annoyed look, I chuckled then contiuned in with what I was gonna say.

"Hey, listen to this and see how it sounds."

He smiled light-heartly then nodded and placed his pencil down, turned to look at me, then held his head up with his elbows firmly planted on his knees.