Revenge of an Alchemist

You panted as you rode your horse towards Old Corona. You had just been told by Rapunzel of the things Varian had done and you didn't want to believe them. You decided to go see him to make sure they weren't true. As you got closer to the village, you could see that it was almost completely destroyed by the black rocks. You avoided the rocks as you and your horse head towards Varian's house.

Varian, who was just looking out the window and thinking of something, spotted you and ran out to meet you. You jump off your horse and ran to him, who immediately engulfed you in his arms.

"I saw you coming," he said, "What are you doing out here?" You panted a little before answering, "I was so worried about you. Rapunzel... told me terrible things."

"What things?" he asked. "She said that you stole the Sun Drop flower. That... you kidnapped the queen," you said.

Varian was silent for moment. "Rapunzel is trying to turn you against me," he said. You shook your head and said, "She cares about us."

"Us?" asked Varian.

"She knows. She wants to help us," you said.

"If she really wanted to help, why didn't she come when I begged her to?" asked Varian. "She had to stay behind. The kingdom needed her," you said. "She could've at least checked on me when she was done with whatever it is she has to do for the kingdom!" he ranted.

"Varian..." you started, but then he interrupted you.

"What difference does it make anyway?!" he asked in anger, "My dad is trapped in that amber and everything I've tried so far failed!" He paused for a moment before continuing, "But then, I realized that the Sun Drop isn't the flower anymore. It's Rapunzel. I just need to lure her here."

You were surprised by his reaction. You placed your hand on his shoulder as you said, "Varian, you know your father loves you. I love you." He toke your hand, only to move it off his shoulder. "Love won't save my father, (Y/n)," he said, "Only the power of the Sun Drop and my alchemy can."

"At what cost?" you asked, "You're a good person, Varian. Don't do this."

"I won't lose the people I love," he said stubbornly, "I'm becoming more powerful than anyone has ever dreamed of. And I'm doing it for you and my father. To protect you both."

You didn't like the sound of this. You placed your hands on his cheeks and said with desperation in your voice, "Come away with me. We'll find another way to save your father. Leave everything else behind while you still can."

Varian grabbed your hands and lower them down. "Don't you see? We don't have to run away," he said as he looked at you with madness in his eyes, "I will save my father and I will bring justice to Corona. I am more powerful than Rapunzel and the king and queen. I can overthrow them. And together, you and I can rule the kingdom! Make things the way we want them to be!"

You listened with fear and disbelief. This was not the Varian you fell in love with. "I don't believe what I'm hearing" you said, "Rapunzel was right. You've changed."

Varian's face darken at the mentioning of the princess. "I don't want to hear any more about Rapunzel," he said in a tone that sends a shiver down your spine, "She and Corona turned their backs on me. Don't you turn your back on me too."

Your eyes begin to tear up. "I don't know you anymore!" you said between sobs, "Varian, you're breaking my heart! You're going down a path I can't follow!"

Varian gazed at you darkly. "Because of Rapunzel?" he asked. "It's because of what you've done!" you said, "What you've planned to do!"

As you spoke, Varian's eyes caught some figures standing 20 feet behind you. You, unaware of the figures, tried in vain to change Varian's mind. "Stop, stop now, come back! I love you!" you cried.