The Girl Who Become Queen

An AU story

Many years ago, the Dark Kingdom invaded the kingdom of Corona, started a war with them, and brought many Coronians back to their land as captives. When the war was over, many Coronians went home to repair their kingdom while the rest stayed behind.

Among them was the Fitzherbert siblings, Eugene and (Y/n). They lost their parents when they were still kids and had to survive on the sheets. When Eugene became an adult, he managed to get a job as a gatekeeper at the palace to pay the debts and support his sister. It was there that he met a young Coronian maid named Rapunzel and they both fell in love. After dating for a few years, they got married.

(Y/n), meanwhile, got side jobs babysitting children and cleaning houses for the elderly to help her brother pay the debts as well. Sometimes, she would be given more money then she asked by a generous man or woman she worked for and she would used the extra money to buy food and medicine for the poor and the sick. She liked Rapunzel as well and was happy to have her as a sister-in-law.

In the dark palace, there lived a widower king and his son. Quirin was a wise and good king, beloved by his subjects. But he knew that he wouldn't last forever. Sooner or later, his son, Varian, would have to take the throne as king. But there were just two problems.

The first problem was that Varian seem to be more interested in alchemy than ruling a kingdom. What Quirin didn't realize though is that Varian wanted to improve the lives of their subjects with the power of science. The second problem was that Varian needed a queen. Without one, there would be no more heirs for the throne. Quirin also thought that once Varian settled down, he would grow up and get his mind off of alchemy. Unfortunately, no one seem good enough for the prince. Varian kept rejecting every princess, duchess, lady, and noblewoman who comes to call.

When the last lady left the palace, Quirin decided to have a talk with his son. He found him on the balcony, looking outside. He walked up to him and began to speak, "Varian, you're going to rule this kingdom one day and as future king, you need a queen to rule by your side." Varian sighed and turned around to face his father. "I know dad, but these women only want to marry me for the crown and our money," he said, "And it doesn't help that they only talk about their lives of luxuries and how much land they had."

Quirin rubbed his eyes with two fingers as he said, "They are highborn women of quality. What do you expect of them?" Varian shook his head and said, "I don't care about any of that stuff, dad. If I were to marry, I want it to be someone who loves me for who I am... and it would be nice if they're at least a bit interested in alchemy."

Quirin sighed and shook his head. "Varian, there's a lot more important things than alchemy," he said. "I know that too, dad!" said Varian, "But think of how much I could accomplish! How much improvements I could make! How much better everyone's lives would be!" Quirin was undeterred. "As king, you could accomplish a lot of things without causing anything to explode," he said. Varian was not impressed.

"But if being a king means I can't be who I truly am, then I don't want to be one," he said angrily before storming off inside. Quirin sighed again and walked back inside of the castle. He walked down a hallway and spotted a portrait of him, his wife, and Varian as a baby. Quirin placed his hand on the woman in the portrait and said, "If only you were here." Then he continued on his way to the throne room.

Once inside, he called his adviser. "Alright, Nigel, who do we have left?" he asked the brunette man, who opened the scroll in his hand. "Hmm, let me see," said Nigel, looking at the list and his eyebrows raise higher and higher as he scroll down the names they've written.

"I'm afraid that's all of them, Your Majesty," he finally said. "What?" asked Quirin. "There are no more suitable suitresses left," said Nigel with disappointment. Quirin rubbed his chin and thought for a moment. "Then, that means we'll have to find my son a bride out of the maidens in this very kingdom," he said.