The Day of Heart(break)

It was evening in Corona and two figures were heading towards the castle. The lighting of the lanterns revealed them to be (Y/n) and Varian. (Y/n) was a 18-year-old castle maid who had to ran some errands and find herself running into a fruit cart, owned by a grumpy vendor, and accidentally knock them all over the ground. She would've been in a lot of trouble if her friend, Varian, a 14-year-old alchemist, hadn't come along and offered his help.

"Thanks for walking me home, Varian," said (Y/n) after some moments of silence, "And I really appreciate your help back there."

"Aw, it was nothing," said Varian with a wave of a hand. They walked a little farther when a thought came to Varian. "Actually, (Y/n), I wanted to ask you a favor," he said. "Anything, Varian," said (Y/n). Varian rubbed the back of his neck and said, "Well, as you know, tomorrow is the Day of Hearts." 

"Yes," said (Y/n), slowing down her steps. "And I was thinking..." he said, trying to find the right words to say. "Yes?" she asked him, with a more excited tone. "I'm thinking on that special day..." he said. "Yes, yes?" she asked again with a tone that said to spill it out. Varian took a deep breath and said, "That I'm ready to officially ask Cassie out on a date."

(Y/n) stopped dead on her tracks. She wasn't surprised that Varian wanted to ask Cassandra out because she knew that he had a crush on her. But she was surprised and a little hurt that he wanted to ask her out this soon, mainly because (Y/n) had a secret crush on him as well.

"Oh, is that so?" she asked, trying to sound like she wasn't disappointed. Varian nodded and said, "I'm thinking of a picnic and I think the hill that shows this great view of Corona would make the perfect spot."

"Oh," said (Y/n), looking more disappointed. "Yeah," Varian continued, "But I don't want her to know we're having a picnic. So I was wondering if you could help me out, you know, set the place up before Cassie and I get there."

"Oh!" said (Y/n), starting to sound more disappointed than excited. "And could you also prepare the food?" asked Varian, oblivious to her reactions, "I mean, something nice and fancy."

At this point, (Y/n) decided she should say something. "I don't think that's a good idea, Varian," she said with concern, "I mean, if you want to impress her, shouldn't you make the food yourself?" Varian chuckled a bit and said, "Well, I do make mean ham sandwiches, not gonna lie, but I don't think they're appropriate for a romantic picnic. Besides, I'm not sure Cassie trusts my cooking skills if it's anything like my alchemy skills."

(Y/n) chuckled and said, "If you cook as well as you do alchemy, then I don't see why anyone wouldn't want to have lunch with you" Varian turned his head away and said, "Not unless they expect the food to blow up in their faces." This made (Y/n) chuckled slightly. "True..." she said, hanging her head a bit down.

Varian quickly turn back to her and asked, "So you'll help me?" (Y/n) started to speak, "Varian... I... I..." She wanted to say she doesn't think Varian should have a picnic with Cassandra because she wouldn't want to. She wanted to say that Cassandra doesn't love him the way she does. That she wanted to be the one to go on a picnic with him. But seeing the excited look on his face, she couldn't find the heart to tell him. So she said, "I would love to help you. Anything to make you happy."

"Oh thank you (Y/n)!" said Varian excitedly and he hugged her, "You're the best! I couldn't ask for a better friend than you!" (Y/n) mumbled, "Don't remind me."

Varian let go of her and continued to walk her home. (Y/n) followed behind him, feeling like she's being weighed down by gravity. She felt ashamed for not telling Varian the truth, especially when he has always been honest with her about his feelings.

As they were getting closer to the castle, (Y/n) started another conversation. "Um, Varian, about you and Cassandra," she said, "Don't you think she's a little... old for you?" Varian stopped and turned around to face her. "It's just 9 years. It's not like she's old enough to be my mom or anything," he said defensively.