Gathering Up My Courage

Raiden

I sat on the bench, under the shade of a tree. Spreading infront, is the lake. And beside me, a beautiful girl, playing her violin.

Carol.

It's been a few days since the both of us started talking. Today when I reached this very park, it was pretty silent, well ofcourse there were still the sounds of nature.

But that one sound I come here to listen to was missing. She wasn't playing her violin.

And I'll just admit that it slightly panicked me. She would always already be here, practicing, but she wasn't today. I thought she didn't even come here today. I called her name out loud, a few times but got no response.

My mind wandered into thinking stuff like what if she never comes here again. That, I tell you, was not a very pleasing emotion.

I was on the verge of full blown panicking when a hand brushed mine, I need no other confirmation to know, it was her.

"Where were you?" I had asked when her fragrance finally opened my senses.

Her hand had held mine into a firm grip, causing me to shudder. I cleared my throat as I felt a warmth spreading over my face.

Raiden don't you dare blush. You can't even see if she is blushing. Don't be all shy-happy by your own and be embarrassed.

Despite my self talk to not give away that my little heart is dancing within my rib cage rightnow, I enclosed my fingers around her hand as well.

I touched the ring on her index finger and ran my finger across it. Seem like she always wears this ring, I have felt it before.

It was a two loop kinda ring. Criss-crossing over eachother, forming an X like structure in middle. Rough surfaced, probably glittery, I'm assuming.

The ring gives me a sense of familiarity, telling me it's her. If I ever failed to recognise her touch, her fragrance and just her presence, I would know it's her. Thought that's very unlikely to happen considering the jolts of electricity her little touch gave me every damn time.

After that..she had pulled me down stairs to place where she usually practiced. Now, I sat beside her and listened as she played her third song of the day.

Needless to say, my seat has been upgraded. And oh the joy!

We sat there for some more time. She played me a few more songs. Then we talked a little, like we usually do.

We were walking together, through the long tree filled lane that connected the park and the road on the other side.

"How do you get home without seeing?" She asked me on the way.

"I have walked this way more than a thousand times, I really don't need to see my way to reach home" it was a quick answer.

My head was preoccupied with other things and in sync with my over active head, was my speeding heart.

I need to ask her something. And I'm freaking nervous rightnow. I almost don't have the courage to, should I just not ask her? Because well, I know I'm starting to hyperventilate rightnow.

We came to a stand still as the road infront of us broke into two ways, first the straight, another to the left. We have to go different ways from here.

So this is it.

This is my chance, to say what's been bugging me.

Deep breaths, one, two, three, launchhhh.

"Umm.. Carol?" I cleared my throat. I heard her as if turning to face me.

Here it goes..

"Will you like, go on lunch with me, this weekend?" I let out in a slow Shakey voice "or whenever you are free"

Just to make it clear. This is NOT a date.

She is silent.

Not a date

No response.

This is anything but a date.

Say something.

No no nada, not a date

Please.

Not

I felt her hand brush mine in a swift motion. And my index finger was pressed between her finger and thumb.

That gesture...

That means a..YES

A wide grin spread across my face and my heart squealed.

IT IS A FREAKING DATE.

~•~•~•~

I stood outside a cafe restaurant, I and Carol decided to grab a brunch from.

Okay wait. Let me put it the way I have been thinking of it for the past few days.

I stood outside the restaurant, where I and Carol are going for our first date.

I squealed for nth time, in my head ofcourse. I can't squeal out loud in public, that's very un-appealing od a guy as charming as myself.

Squealing and jumping around in my room is another story altogether.

It's a date. A date. A freaking actual date.

No matter how much I try to control my heart, stating anything otherwise, but my heart knows, even I know..that I had asked her on a date.

And she knows, I know she knows, that she has said yes to a date offer.

I again squealed silently realising that she has been willing to go out on a date with me.

A hand brushed against mine and soft thin fingers held it. I smiled in recognition. And inhaled a very familiar fragrance, my index finger caressed the ring over her's.

We walked towards the restaurant, with her leading the way. She opened the door for me and we walked in.
We defy gender roles you see. But also I can't where the door is, so yeah.

We had a light lunch. Occasionally chatting. Actually it was just me talking, and talking and talking. You see I'm not usually the talking-a-lot or actually talking-at-all kinda person, but as they say company matters.

Soon after we walked out of the place, walking close by. Our hands brushing on movement. It was nice. Like really really nice.

Suddenly Carol slowed down in her tracks. What happened? She pulled me towards her.

I know for a fact that we were now standing closer than we ever had before.

My heart beat rose as I felt her breath on my neck. I tried to calm my erratic heartbeat and irregular breathing, but they had a mind of their own.

Her hand clasped mine firmly, before running her finger over it.

I tried keeping a track of what she was writing, but her hands were shaking, or were they mine?

She finished writing. And my breath hitched. My eyes went wide as I contemplated her words.

No, no no.

This isn't possible.

She can't be writing this. It's surely a dream.

My uncertainty came to an end, as she quickly drew a shape on my palm.

OH MY GOD.

"I like you" is what she wrote...

" <3 " is what she drew.

______________