Canvas Splash

Raiden

The door swung open, producing a creaking sound. My palm rested over Carol's eyes, blinding her vision as we stepped over and inside the threshold.

A strong and familiar gush of smell welcomed me, a silent smile spreading over my face . The smell was strong enough that I'm kind of sure Carol has caught it as well and almost guessed what I'm upto, but that did not make me withdraw my hand and letting her see.

My fingers traced the wall adjacent to the door to find the switchboard. Click. And the room was illuminated.

I usually- more like ever- do not switch the lights here on, like it's gonna make any difference. But with Carol here, I don't want her to stumble and fall in the dark. Plus she needs to see, what I have brought her here for.

"Get ready, okay?" I whispered tilting my head close to her ear. She nodded softly against my palm.

I walked her a few steps ahead, stopping at, what I know as the middle of the room.

My heart beating rapidly as I slowly let my palm slip away from her eyes, tracing my fingers down her cheeks and arms and finally intertwining her hand in mine. My finger brushed against her ring giving me a strange sense of comfort.

I gulped awaiting her reaction, but soon my frown turned into a smile as I heard her gasp audibly.

"So? You like it?" I asked gleaming. And still kinda nervous actually.

She gave my hand a quick yet tight squeeze, and that's I wanted for a reaction.

"Allow me to demonstrate." I cleared my throat and took a big huff of air.

Letting her enter this room, letting her see this place was a bigger thing for me than you can imagine. I have never let anyone enter this room after my accident- no one except Gren who helps me keep this place organised- not even my parents.

I take another deep breath and let the strong smell engulf me- the strong smell like of paint. This place was my art room, more like my own tiny art gallery. All the paintings and sketches I have made, before the accident and after, all of them were here hung on the walls.

To me my paintings are like a part of my soul, it's scary to let anyone see them, to let anyone witness that part of myself.

But atleast the paintings I have made with my eyesight are still fine, I'm confident on them, I know what they look like, I know how they turned out, I have showed them to people before.

But the ones I made after, I myself don't know what they look like. They were just a vivid colourful imagination in my head, I tried to throw on my canvas, I have no idea if they even look like a painting or just a mess of colours splashed randomly here and there.

I have never showed them to anyone, never. Carol would be the first one to see them, and now do you understand the gravity of the situation and my nervousness.

"On the left side, the first painting of the purple sky and buildings." I felt her nod against me.

"I made it when I was 11, it was for a competition, and needless to say I won" I ended in a smug tone, earning a chucked from Carol.

This was one painting, I was really proud of. It was was a sunset behind tall buildings. The sky was painted in dark purple and red, with white paint scattered over the sky in little dots, looking like stars. The buildings that stood tall covering most of the canvas were painted in plain black.

Weird as much as it sounds, I clearly remember what each and every painting i painted in this room with my eyes open looks like, I can recall and describe the most minute details like I can see it rightnow. My paintings are engraved in my head they are the most clear and vivid images I have behind my closed lids.