The Hard Times

Raiden

I sat impatiently on my study desk, waiting.

"Is she here?" I asked

"Not yet, sir"

I tapped my feet on the ground restless.

"Is she here?" I asked again, within some five seconds since the last time.

"Not yet, sir" Gren replied in the same patient tone. So unlike me rightnow.

Okay, gotta wait. I let another five seconds go.

"Is she here yet?"

"Sir!" Gren's patient tone was laced with warning this time, okay I'm probably annoying him now.

But like I give a shit to that.

"Why is she not coming?" I know I sound like a 5 year old, cry-demanding his mother to buy him chocolate in the middle of the store.

"I don't know, sir"
Argh. Why?

Damn I'm not good with this waiting business.

"Are you sure the internet is connected" I ask poking the screen of the laptop placed infront of me on my desk, to lay emphasis on my worry.

"Yes sir, it is" Gren the epitome of patience replied.

"Are you sure?" If it's connected why isn't she online yet?

"I'm certain, sir"
I groaned frustrated.

"Why is she so late?" I stood up suddenly knocking out the chair beneath me, off to the floor.

"I know right, sir. Miss Carol is late by a whole 2 minute and 13 seconds. How dare she?" Gren said in his usual monotonous tone with extra sarcasm. Picking up my chair he pushed me back onto it as i scowled.

I sat down trying to keep quite this time. She is just late by some 3minutes, stop overreacting Raiden.

A landline phone kind ringtone brought me out of my thoughts.

Oh!

"She is here, sir" Gren said with a hint of smile in his voice.

"WAIT!" I shouted before he could receive the video call.

Running a hand through my neatly finger-combed hair, I then adjusted my shirt's collar.

"Do I look okay?" I quickly wiped any traces of sweat from my forehead. I need to look my best.

"You look dashing, sir" I grinned, lesser over Gren's compliment, and more on the anticipation of talking to her. I motioned at him to receive the call.

The ringing of the call ceased.

"She's waving at you, and smiling" Gren murmured softly. My grin widened as I waved at her too.

"I'm doing well Miss Carol, thank you" Gren said. Carol obviously asked him of his well being with sign language, as usual.

"I'll leave you two at it." Gren said. I nodded and his footsteps retreated out of the room, the door shut behind.

"How are you?" I grinned at the screen.

"I'm really good. And you look like you are in a good mood too." Came the mechanical voice, though slightly muffled and disturbed because of the call quality, but I can manage.

"I can talk to you today. Ofcourse I'm in a good mood." I smile widened if that was even possible.

"It's been a year today, since you left for New York" I sighed. My chin cupped into my hands, elbows resting on the table, as I stared into the darkness imagining her sitting infront of me.