Eternally Mine

• Raiden •

This place still felt the same, nothing changed, nothing at all. The freshness of the air, the damp grass crushed under my shoes, my wide grin just thinking about Carol and my thumping heart at the thought of seeing her, nothing's changed. Just the latter two things have intensified now, coupled with nervousness. I'm more nervous than when I first approached her or when I first asked her out on a date. God!

I stood at my usual spot, under the large tree's shade leaning on its bark. She should be here soon. It's 10 minutes to 5 in the evening, she said she would reach the park by 5.

Carol hurry up.

It's 5:20 now and she is still not here. Is her flight late? Traffic? Her flight landed safe right? What if she cancelled her return all together?

Oh no no no.

I stood there for another 20 minutes before a light echo of heels clicking on the ground hit my ears.

Is that her? I don't know. She never wore heels infront of me before.

Is that her? Or is that not her?

The footsteps sounded closer and louder each second, I still don't know if it's her.

I quickly straightened my back of the tree and walked a few steps a head, keeping my face directed towards the approaching figure.

If it's Carol, I know she is gonna jump on me. If it's not, well the stranger women would only think of me as some creepy fool standing here, eyeing her. No big deal.

The steps rang closer and closer and soon a slightly familiar fragrance engulfed me.

It smells somewhat like her and still somewhat different? Have I forgotten what she smelled like? Oh no!

I waited, standing there impatiently. It should be her. I waited for her to crush me in her arms, the steps got louder, the fragrance stronger.

She is near. Very near.

Her steps did not flatter like they usually do near me, instead the started sounding fainter than before. It took me a moment to realise, the women walked past me!

What?

It's not Carol?

But it felt like her...

I turned towards the direction the women was now walking away from me.

Panicked raised in my chest and bile in my throat.

If that is not Carol, then where is she? Is she fine..or not?

Through my constricting throat, I let out a choked call.

"C-carol?"

The footsteps stopped at once. And my already racing heart almost leaped out. Without wasting time, my own steps gained momentum as I rushed towards her.

I heard a feet shuffle, turning herself around to fcae me while I directly came to a stand still right in front of her. I tried to calm myself down and this time I tried to analyze the feel of this woman's presence. I know it's been 4 years, but surely I won't forget Carol like that.

Her fragrance soon engulfed me in itself. I was conflicted, the fragrance felt familiar and different. I couldn't decide.

"I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be indecent or anything.." I let out softly after a long moment of silence. "But excuse me, please" My hand raised up, silently searching for hers. If I have to recognise my Carol, there is one way that won't fail.

My heart thudded against my chest, hoping with everything that the touch is familiar, that the touch belongs to her.

I could hardly listen to anything anymore, over the loud thumping of my chest as my hand moved forward to cover the distance.

One touch! And then I felt it, the electricity jolting through my veins. It's her, it's Carol! My grip instinctively tightened on her hand and her criss-cross ring nagged my finger. It's her!

A sob of relief escaped me "Carol!". I heard a soft chuckle before being pulled into a tight embrace. Tears now flowed down my eyes as I held her as tight as practically possible.

"I almost thought you didn't recognise me" I heard the familiar mechanical voice few moments after breaking our embrace.

"Why didn't you stop? Why did you walk past me?" I knew my voice was laced with anxiousness, but I hardly cared to hide.

"I was trying to test you. To see if you will recognise me"

"Test me? Carol you freaking gave me a heartattack" I was getting angry now, and my temper blew when I heard her chuckle.

"Carol this ain't funny!" I shouted.

"I know, I'm sorry! Please don't be angry" she captured me into her embrace again.

"Don't do that again. Ever!" She nodded against me. I breathed in relief of finally having her back, in my arms.

"I missed you so much" I murmured a few seconds later and her griped on me tightened in reciprocation of my feelings.

She broke out our embrace again and I almost whined in protest. A separation of 4 years with her was more than enough to last a lifetime, no more now.

"You look different" She caressed my face, her fingers tracing my stubbled cheek.

"The good different? Or the bad different?" I raised a brow.

"The amazing different. The hot kinda different" I heard her chuckled and my face split into a grin. A peck landed on my cheek where her fingers had been lingering.

"This isn't enough" I murmured before crashing my lips on her's. And my grip around her tightened, promising myself to never let her go again.

The End