Epilogue

Raiden

I heard some hustle bustle around me. Footsteps walking and some light discussion. The smell of disinfectants lingering in the air.

I sat motionless on the bed, I could feel the warmth and movements emitting from the people semi-circle-ing around me. The feel of the bandage over my eyes now itched and annoyed me.

Get it off quick, please!

"Mr. Adams, do you feel okay?" Came a calm confident voice, probably a man in his 40's. It's Dr. Wilson

"Yes" I nodded gruffly.

"Any kind of pain in your head?"

I waited a few seconds to assess the answer. No aches apparently, just slightly dizzy?

"No. Just a little light headed."

"Oh that's normal."

"We'll get on with it then." His voice felt distant this time, so I know he isn't talking to me now.

"Get me the tray. Scissors, cotton, towel" I heard another voice. A very strict, no nonsense voice of a women. It's a nurse I believe.

"Are you ready?" Came the doctors voice again. He was addressing me this time.
I took in a deep breath trying to calm my nerves. And nodded.

Here it is.

I heard the snap of the scissors near my ear. Then i felt a hand rounding around my head, removing bandage from over my eyes, layer by layer.

"If you feel any kind of pain in discomfort. Or your dizziness worsens. Say it at once" The doctor said as he continued to unwrap my eyes.

My heart hammered. I was scared. I was dreading this moment I anticipated and prayed for last 10years. I was getting my eyesight back.

I had a successfully operated cornea transplant a few days back. And here i am now. Getting prepared to see the world after ten long years.

Finally the bandage was of my face leaving the cotton pads sticking to my eyes, the last layer to be lifted off.

"Dim down the lights please" I heard the doctor. There were sudden footsteps and then a click, from the switchboard I believe.
"Here you go" Dr. Wilson muttered then moved to remove the cotton pads off my eyes.

Oh heavens. Finally!

"Slowly open your eyes now. The light might sting and irritate you but that's normal. But I again warn you to look out for any other kind of discomfort or pain"

I tried to lift my eyelids. They kind of felt heavy. I tried again, this time successful. Though the sudden sting of light made me close then back.

I opened them again. And blinked, several times, trying to get used to something so normal I have been deprived of for years.
A few more blinks and my eyes adjusted to the soft light in the room.

"Mr. Adams, follow my finger with your eyes please" Dr. Wilson said standing over me. He moved his finger infront of my face,left to right, up and down, in circles for my eyes to follow.

"Your vision is clear?" He asked withdrawing his hand.

I nodded "A little blurry. But it's getting clearer with passing seconds"

"That will take just a few minutes to adjust" he said and walked back, discussing something with the nurse.

"All seems good. We will suggest you not give too much strain to your eyes, take rest after meeting with your family"
I nodded and my eyes finally felt focused.