chapter ten • the dropout

"I would rather walk with a friend in the dark than alone in the light."
- Helen Keller

When I made the choice to take a hiatus from university, I expected backlash. I expected my parents to have some concerns and to voice them without reservations. Both Mom and Dad graduated from Ivy League schools. To them, an education isn't just important; it's essential. It was never a matter of if I was going to college but where. As soon as my senior year of high school started, they were both breathing down my neck, helping me to research schools, fill out applications, and meet all of my deadlines. While my friends were enjoying their last year of high school, I was planning my freshman year curriculum at UIC.

So when I finally got the nerve to inform them of my decision not to go back to school at the end of January, they were surprisingly calm. I expected a fight, a lecture, even a pair of disappointed guises. Instead, they were calm, quiet, and startlingly unfazed.

I guess Raelyn's death has left us all pretty numb.

"You'll go back when you're ready, son," Dad said as he patted my shoulder.

"I just want you to be happy, sweetheart," Mom added.

Once my parents were informed of my plans, I gave Winter a call. She had just returned from Michigan with Avery and was exhausted from the long trip. I felt bad for bombarding her with the news, but she needed to hear it before the spring semester started.

"Bowie... are you serious?" Even over the phone, I could see her furrowed brow and wide, saucer-like eyes. "I know the past month has been really hard for you, but you can't just not come back to school. Your life is here. Your friends are here." She paused. "I'm here, Bowie."

"And we'll still see each other," I promised her. "I just need to figure some stuff out."

"All by yourself?"

"I'm not by myself. I have my family."

"Your family doesn't know you the same way I do."

I exhaled. She was right. Winter knew me better than anyone. My parents only saw what they wanted to see.

"I'll be okay," I assured her. "Don't worry about me, Winter Margeret Williams."

"I'm gonna worry every single day, Bowie Terrence Beaufort," she replied. "I love you. Call me if anything happens, alright?"

I vowed that I would reach out if needed before we said our goodbyes and hung up.

I already miss Winter, but I know our friendship will remain intact. The two of us are platonic soulmates. Nothing, not even a little distance, will ever come between us.

I think about her as I walk to Poppy's. Despite the circumstances, I like my job there. Poppy is easily the kindest person I have ever met. She treats her employees like family. That's why Zayna and her older brother, Shamus, live above the diner for a fraction of what they'd be paying anywhere else.

Ah, Zayna. She's another reason why I like my job. She's snarky, callous, and sometimes hard to read, but she's also funny, bright, and strangely insightful. I enjoy her company.

Based on her over-the-top flirting, I'd say she's fond of me, too.

"What are you doing after work today?" the golden-eyed brunette asks as soon as I walk through the door.

"Uh, I don't have plans," I tell her.

"Great. Come upstairs after you punch out." She winks before sauntering away to a table of hungry customers.