[12] YOU DON'T GOT A BACKBONE!

DUSTIN THROWS THE GYM DOORS OPEN and they bang against the wall causing the gym to go silent and all eyes to turn to them.

Mariella sucks in a breath as they pause in the doorway awkwardly.

"Abort," Dustin whispers, turning to fun out but Lucas grabs his shoulders and pushes him in and they walk towards the bleachers.

"We come together to heal..." The principals voice drones on buy they all seem to zone it out as they find their seats and sit.

"Will Byers' death is an unimaginable tragedy. Will was an exceptional student and a wonderful friend to all of us. It's impossible to express the hole his loss will leave on our community," He goes on as the party looks to each other in distaste at the blank-faced students who listened.

"I'd like to introduce you to Sandy Sloane. She's a local grief counsellor from the church over in Jonesboro. But before she comes up here, I just want those who are having trouble dealing with this tragic loss..." The party continues to zone out, going into their own worlds.

Mike nudges Mariella and Licas who both turn to him with raised brows. "Look at these fakers!" He whispers, upset.

"They probably didn't even know his name until today," Lucas whispers back as Mariella leans forward and points a finger to Troye and James who sat a few seats away chuckling to themselves.

She sucks in a breath again and clenches her fist, "I'm still open to telling my dad," she mumbles before leaning back and shaking her head with her eyes shut.

Eleven peeks and watches as they imitate and laugh about Will. "Mouth breather," She whispers, looking to Mike and Mariella who smile softly and nod.

After what felt like ages, the bell rings and student begin filing out, stomping down the bleachers and onto the gym floor.

"Hey! Hey!" Mike calls out, walking away from the party and towards Troye and James with a scowl on his face.

"Mike, stop!" Mariella says, following after him and grabbing his arm but her pushes her off. She follows after him and stands next to him.

"Hey, Troye!" He shouts now, close to him as he turns back and faces Mike in the face.

"You... you think this is funny?" Mike asks, shouting at him as other students begin to watch.

"What's you say, Wheeler?" Troye asks, threateningly.

"You heard him, Troye," Mariella says, looking at him dead in the eyes.

"I saw you guys laughing over there and I think that's a real messed up thing to do," Mike stammers at the beginning.

"Didn't you listen to the counsellor, Wheeler? Grief shows itself in funny ways," James speaks up.

"Oh, can it, James. You don't even have a backbone!" Mariella spits at his foot as she steps closer to him and stares up. There were a few exclaims from around them.

James gets ready to grab her shoulder but she leans back slightly and shakes her head. "I wouldn't do that," She says, leaning into Mike.

"Besides, what's there to be sad about, anyway? Will's in fairyland now, right? Flying around with the other little fairies. All happy and gay!" Troye laughs as he skips in spot, a crowd as formed now. Watching as Mariella DeGray and Michael Wheeler stare down their longtime bullies.

Troye and James begin to walk over, satisfied as they laugh. "Mike," Mariella whispers, grabbing his arm before he walks forward and pushes Troye's back angrily. Exclamations come from all around them as people stare at Troye on the ground of the gym floor.