Chapter 26: Child Found

Asami was pacing back and forth in the living room with her arms wrapped around herself. She's relieved to know that Alejandra is fine but she's better knowing that she's safe and in her arms. Bolin and Opal was sitting on the couch watching the raven haired woman worrying over this girl that she just met. The door of the apartment opens to reveal Korra carrying a sleeping Alex under her jacket. The heiress rushes over towards them and taking the sleeping 8 year old in her arms. The fashion major can breath easy now that the younger girl is safe with them.

"Where was she?" Asami asked concerned.

"She was on the south side of town with some creep and his thugs. From what I know, her mother is a junkie and she sold Alex for money and a fix. Whatever drugs she buys, Alex pays the tabs by pick-pocketing or whatever Toza makes her do. If she doesn't get enough money, they beat it out of her" Korra said gritting her teeth.

Just thinking about what Alex had to endure because of her mother gets her blood boiling. What kind of mother sells their child for drugs? Parents are supposed to protect their kids, not making them support them in their drug induced habits. If I see Alex's mother or Toza, I'm gonna have a few choice words with the both of them. Asami couldn't believe that someone would do that to their own child. She pulls Alex closer to her chest.

"What are you guys going to do with her?" Bolin asked curious.

"I doubt that Toza is going to come looking for her after what I did to his thugs" Korra said folding her arms.

"What about her mother? Wouldn't she come looking for Alex?" Opal asked raising an eyebrow.

"Nope, she'll just sell me again to the highest bidder. Asami, you can put me down" Alex said chiming in.

"Would she really do that?" Asami asked shocked.

"Yeah, she would. It's happened at least twice from what I can remember. I appreciate you saving me but it wasn't necessary" Alex said sighing.

"What are you talking about? Of course it was necessary! No child should be beaten on by full grown men" Korra said frowning.

"I stopped being a child a long time ago. It sucks but it's my sucky life that I was born into" Alex said walking towards the door.

"Wait Alex, where you going to go?" Asami asked stopping her.

"Attempt to find my mother if she's not high as a kite" Alex said nonchalant.

Asami looks at Korra with a sadden look. The fighter nods before walking over towards the younger girl and kneels in front of her. Alex looks at the Alaskan in front of her with a raised eyebrow but was thrown for a loop when she was pulled into a tight hug. Okay, why is she hugging me for? This is really weird and awkward. The 8 year old struggled to get out of the hug but the older woman has a rather strong on her but she's feeling really warm.

"I know that it hurts. You're been through a lot of painful things and you try to hide that pain but you don't have to. We want to help and be there for you if you'll let us. Let us help you, Alex" Korra said hugging Alex.

"You don't even know me. I'm just a stupid street rat"

"You're not stupid nor a street rat, Alex. You're just a kid and we want to get to know you. The real you, not the image that you try to project" Asami said smiling a little.

"Why? Why me?" Alex asked curious.

"To ask why or to not ask why. That is the question" Korra said jokingly.

"I might not know Shakespeare but I know that's not right" Alex said laughing a little.

"Do you always have a smartass remark to everything?" Korra asked rolling her eyes.

"Just about, yeah. What can I say I'm a smartass" Alex said smirking.

"It's something that we'll have to get used to" Asami said. "What do you mean?" Ale asked confused.

"What I mean is that Korra and I want you to stay here with us. Are you okay with that?" Asami asked ruffling Alex's hair.

"The better question is are you okay with that? Wouldn't you prefer a newborn or something like that. I'm kinda old to be adopted" Alex said looking down.

"Alex, you're only 8 and no, you're not too old to be adopted if that's what you want. Do you want to be a part of this family?" Asami asked lifting Alex's chin so they are looking at each other.

"I... yes" Alex said nodding.

"Then it's settled then. Welcome to the family, Alex" Korra said hugging Alex tightly.

"I'm too old for hugs" Alex said burying her head in Korra's shoulder.

"I don't think so. You're never too old for hugs" Korra said kissing Alex on the top of her head.

"Congrats guys, it's a girl" Bolin said grinning widely.

"Oh shush Bo" Asami said rolling her eyes.

"Alex, that's your Uncle Bolin and Aunt Opal. They're a little weird but you'll get used to them" Korra said smirking.

"Hey!" Bolin and Opal shouted in unison.

Alex laughs a little as her new Uncle and Aunt chases her new Mom around the apartment. She wasn't expecting to gain a new family that cares about her and wants to take care of her instead of it being the other way around. The 8 year old isn't sure if this is really doing to work out in her favor since nothing has in the past. What if they decide that they don't want me anymore? My mother didn't want me to begin with and sold me when she saw a way out of motherhood.

I don't think Korra and Asami will sell like she did but still. I've never part of a real family before. They might want a kid that doesn't pick-pocket any and everything in sight. I don't want them to be disappointed when one day I decide to leave in the middle of the night. Okay, I kinda did that already... and they came looking for me. Probably not the best course of a plan but I didn't think they would look for me. Who goes looking for a random street rat/orphan? I wouldn't. Alex jumps out of her thoughts to see Asami looking at her.

"Are you okay, Sweetie?" Asami asked concerned.

"Y-Yeah, I'm f-fine" Alex said smiling sheepishly.

"If something is bothering you, you can always come to me or Korra to talk. We'll listen" Asami said smiling.

"O-Okay thanks" Alex said smiling.

Asami smiles back before picking up the younger girl and placing her in her lap. The raven haired woman kissing Alex on top of the head causing a small blush to form on the 8 year old girl's face. The heiress giggles a little. She's too cute. She'll get used to us one step at a time.