Chapter One - Guy

I walk into school with ten minutes to spare. I'm already exhausted from my flight back from Sydney last night but I'm determined to make the most of my day. Instead of heading to class, I walk past the music and science blocks until I reach the picnic tables.

The area is empty except for James. He's sitting at a table with his nose in a book and hears me coming. He puts down the book and walks over to me, pulling me into a hug. I notice an odd feeling arising in my stomach. Like butterflies. I brush off the feeling and pull back from the hug.

"Hey," says James, with a massive grin on his face.

"Hey."

I find myself staring into his eyes. I've never noticed it before but he has really beautiful eyes. They're a perfect shade of green. I could get lost in them.

I hear James say my name, "Guy?"

I snap out of my trance and sheepishly redirect my gaze. James giggles, "You zoned out for a bit there."

I can feel myself blushing, "Yeah sorry about that."

"How are you? I haven't seen you in ages."

"Yeah, I'm good, I had a great holiday but I'm glad to be back in New Zealand."

"That's good. I just spent my holiday reading and helping my dad finish making his godforsaken bike."

I laugh, "He really does love that thing."

"Yeah, almost more than his son."

"Almost. You and that bike are at least equal in his eyes."

James smiles at my joke.

"See, I'm already cheering you up."

"Yeah. I really missed having you around."

I hear the faint sound of the bell ringing in the distance.

James shoves his book into his bag, "Should we head to form?"

"Yeah. Miss Scott would kill me if I was late again."

"You aren't seriously still blaming me for that are you?"

"It was your idea to go to the dairy."

"It was your idea to spend 15 minutes evaluating what drink had the highest energy content."

"Hey! I needed to ensure I made a worthwhile investment."

James shakes his head and we both laugh as we begin to walk to class.

-----------------------------------

I wander into Mr Smith's music room. I see him at his desk, typing away at his computer.

I pipe up, "You wanted to see me?"

Mr Smith looks up, I can tell he is taken off guard. He probably wasn't expecting to see me so soon. I'm meant to be at lunch but I figured coming here would be worth it.

"Oh! Yes, I did. Take a seat."

I sit down, anticipating his next words.

"So," he begins, "Have you ever heard of the Summit Institute of Music?"

"Of course, it's one of the best music schools in America."

"Would you like to study there?"

"Of course I would but I can't afford it."

Mr Smith has a massive grin on his face, "I don't think that will be an issue."

The grin spreads to me. I can tell he's passionate about this, "Please, reveal to me your master plan."