Chapter Five - Guy

I wake up to the sound of my phone buzzing. I reach over and pick it up off of my beside table. 6:30 A.M? I check the notification to find it's a friend request from Facebook. I open the app and almost have a heart attack when I see who it's from: Dave Montgomery. Shit.

That's my birth fathers name. I doubt the request is from someone else who coincidentally has the same name as him. I check his photos. He looks exactly like me.

Why the hell is he reaching out now? How did he even find me? He left before I was born, he wouldn't even know my first name. Did he just search my mum's last name?

Then it dawns on me. Does he know that she passed away? He mustn't. He hasn't had contact with my mum or anyone she knows since before I was born.

How could he go all this time without reaching out to any of us? Did he not care what happened once he left? 

It makes me angry to even think about so I deny the request. I fall back asleep, hoping I forget about it when I wake up next.

-----------------------------------

I wake up again, the events from earlier still fresh in my mind. I heave myself out of bed and get changed. I put on black jeans and a black shirt. Not exactly the most practical outfit for running, but the best I can do. I shove my phone into my back pocket and head out of my room.

I nearly trip over myself whilst rushing down the stairs.

Spencer is sitting at the dining room table, eating his breakfast, eggs and bacon.

"Careful there," he says.

"Sorry," I mumble sheepishly.

Spencer gives me a concerned look, "Are you alright?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," I lie.

"You don't look fine."

He knows me too well.

"I'd rather not talk about it," I say.

I wouldn't want to upset him, I was mad enough as it was. I didn't want to bother Spencer with any of this, at least not yet.

"Okay, if you're sure," he says. I can tell he wishes I'd confide in him but he doesn't push it.

"I'm going to go for a run," I say.

Without giving him any time to reply I sprint out the door. I run down the street as fast as I can, trying to keep my mind off of everything.

 -----------------------------------

After five minutes I arrive outside James's house. I stop for a moment, considering whether or not to go in. Usually we talk about everything, but I wouldn't want to bother him with this.

I run another two blocks to Amelia's house. I never got a chance to talk to her about what happened at Pizza Hut, I want to check up on her.

I walk up to the door and ring the bell. After a few seconds Amelia opens the door, "Hey, what's up?"

"I just though I'd check up on you."

"Thanks, that means a lot. Come on in."

I walk into her house and take time to admire my surroundings. I've only been here a couple of times before. There are more pictures on the walls than the last time I came. Some are of Amelia dancing, and some are of her little sister, Brianna, doing martial arts. There are more ornaments scattered everywhere too. Amelia's parents really are into decorating. They like to take pride in their home.