Epilogue - Guy & James

One Year Later

--------------- Guy ---------------

It's Friday night, I'm sitting in my dorm room trying to focus but I can barely keep my eyes open. I hear a knock at the door. A distraction is the last thing I need, but it's not like I was getting any work done anyway. I get up from my seat and open the door.

"Hey."

Standing in the doorway is my girlfriend, Shelby. I met her in one of my classes. At first we became friends when we worked together on a project. When she asked me out on a date I was surprised but I said yes. We've been dating for one month now.

"Hey babe, what's up?" I reply.

"We need to talk."

I can already feel my palms begin to sweat. I know that whatever this is about it's not good. I step aside and allow her to enter the dorm, closing the door behind her. She takes a seat on the edge of my bed and I sit down next to her.

"What did you want to talk about?" I ask, my voice coming out higher than usual.

"This isn't working."

"Why not? I thought things were going well."

"They are... well they were. It's just that I don't think that you're ready for this."

"Not ready for this? What's that supposed to mean?"

"Look, I know that you're still not over your ex."

"I..."

I was about to protest but she might be right... I don't want to think about it.

"See? You're not even denying it."

"Please don't be mad."

"Why would I be mad? You can't help the way you feel. I mean yeah, it sucks because I really like you but it's best for the both of us that I end this here."

I don't have any words, I simply nod.

"I'll see you around, okay?"

Shelby walks out of the room and I collapse onto my bed. It's funny how fast things can change. Earlier this night I had a girlfriend, I wasn't thinking about James for the first time in forever and I was actually starting to believe that I could get some work done.

Now, I've done no work, Shelby has broken up with me and James is on my mind yet again. I would call him, or text him. Just to chat. But we haven't in so long. He's been so busy with his life, and it drives me nuts. I miss him more now than ever.

-----------------------------------

I must have dozed off last night, everything after Shelby left is a blur. I should be finishing my essay, but right now I'm procrastinating yet again. I'm in the music room playing guitar, trying to avoid all of my issues.

Music is the only thing that keeps me sane nowadays. I miss my friends and brother so much that I don't know what to do with myself. I have a job at a local coffee shop, but when I'm not there all I do is spend time with Brandon.