Chapter Seven - Guy

I hear the doorbell ring and run downstairs to open the door. When I do I find James. He's panting, out of breath and attempting to wipe tears away from his eyes.

I can tell he doesn't want me to see them, but it's too late. I already have.

"What happened?" I ask, concern present in my voice.

James ignores my question, "Can I come in?" He asks, his voice shaky.

"Yeah, of course. Let me take that," I take his backpack and place it on one of the hooks along the wall.

When I turn back to face him again I ask the same question as before, "What happened?"

I can see the tears well up in his eyes and in an attempt to hide them he buries his head in my shoulder. I wrap my arms around him and he does the same.

We just stand there for a while, not saying a word. No words need to be said. I can feel James's pain radiating off of him. I know that whatever has happened, he must be going through a lot at the moment. I'm going to be there to help him through it.

Eventually James removes his head from my shoulder and pulls it back to look into my eyes, arms still wrapped tightly around me.

"I-I'm sorry..." he begins.

I bring my hand up to his face and use the brim of my thumb to wipe some of the tears from underneath his deep green eyes, "It's okay. Everything is going to be okay. I'm here for you."

"Thank you."

"Do you want to go up to my room?"

Spencer is in the lounge and I think that James would like to talk in private.

"Yeah, that'd be good," he mumbles.

We walk upstairs in silence. When we get to my room we both sit down on my bed cross-legged, facing each other.

"My parents are getting a divorce," says James. This time I didn't have to ask, he just blurted it out. He looks relieved, like he's glad to have gotten it off of his chest.

I'm shocked. I remember not long ago this was his worst nightmare.

It was a warm spring day. School was out and James and I decided to meet at the town park.

We were sitting on the swings. Not swinging, just sitting there and talking.

"You know the last time you were at my house?" asked James.

"Yeah, I remember that."

"You know how my parents were yelling at each other?"

I was hesitant to agree. I did hear it, but I knew it upset him. I figured it'd be best if we talked it out however.

"Yes."  I said.

"They're still doing it. It's been non-stop all week."

"Oh... I'm sure it's not a big deal."

"But what if it isn't? What if..."

James paused for a moment, "What if they get divorced?"

"I don't think they will. They've been married for years now, I'm sure it's just a bump along the road. It's normal for couples to have arguments."

"Yeah, I suppose your right. I'm probably looking too much into it, but the idea of them getting divorced just keeps popping into my head."

"Why does it scare you so much?"