Chapter Twenty - James

I pull out my phone to see thirty messages on the group chat. I'm not sure why we made that thing. Every time I've ever been in a group chat in the past something has gone wrong, like now. I'm only ten minutes late and everyone's freaking out. 

I knock on the door and Guy opens it immediately.

"Where were you?" he asks.

"Nice to see you too," I say, walking past him into the kitchen.

"Sorry, I just wanted to make sure you were okay."

"My overprotective boyfriend was worried about me?" I tease.

"I... yeah, he was."

Guy's face turns bright red and I can't help but laugh.

"It's not funny!"

"It's adorable. I was only late because I was getting snacks," I say, placing my bag of groceries on the bench.

His eyes widen, "Snacks you say?"

I shake my head, "Have a look."

Guy doesn't look in the bag, he simply slides it further across the bench before leaning up against it.

I grin, "Think you're smooth, huh?"

"Do I have to step up my game?"

His voice comes out deeper than usual and I have to bite my lip to stop myself from smiling.

Guy inches closer to me and whispers in my ear, "I'll take that as a yes."

He places his hand under my chin and pulls me into a kiss. I feel weak but I don't want him to stop.

"Oi!"

Guy removes his lips from mine and we turn to see Lola standing in the living room.

"Yes?" I ask.

"Aren't you two meant to be downstairs?" she asks, crossing her arms in front of her chest.

"We're allowed in the basement?"

Usually Spencer doesn't let anyone except Emmett down there. Guy and I used to make jokes that that was where he hid bodies, but Spencer liked to call it his 'man cave.'

"Only for tonight since it's New Years and all."

Guy lets out a chuckle, "I think he just found a better hiding place.

I shake my head as I follow Guy and Lola downstairs into the basement.

"There you are!" says Tessa.

"Sorry I was late."

"No problem. Can we finally play pool now?"

I look around the basement. It's covered in band posters, has multiple couches and of course a pool table in the middle.

"Yeah, it sounds fun."

"Alright, gentlemen first," she says gesturing to Guy and I.

Guy flashes me a mischievous grin and hands me a cue. I have a feeling that this will be an intense game.

-----------------------------------

"Why won't you just win already?" Guy asks, panting.

"I thought you said you were going to wipe the floor with me."

"That was half an hour ago."

"Maybe we should just give up."

Ava, Tessa and Lola yell in unison, "NO!"

I let out a groan and lean against the pool table.

Guy is about to take his turn when we hear someone coming down the stairs. We turn to see Spencer standing with a serious expression on his face.