eight

When Louis wakes up the day of his surgery, his chest is automatically heavy. He sits up in his bed, glaring at his alarm clock and wincing at the awful ringing sound. He doesn't understand why his surgery was scheduled so early in the morning.

There's a light knock on his door before it opens. Louis doesn't know why his mother bothers knocking if she's not going to give him any time to answer. She smiles at him weakly. "Good morning, love."

"G'morning," Louis mumbles, running his hand over his face. Exhaustion racks his whole body.

"Did you find out whether or not Harry's coming, Lou?" She asks, walking into his bedroom and opening the curtains. Louis winces at the bright light coming in through the windows.

"I'll call him," Louis sighs softly, unplugging his phone and unlocking it. It only rings twice before he can hear Harry pick up.

"Hiii."

"Hello," Louis leans back into his pillow, his eyelids drooping. He smiles a little at Harry's sleepy voice. "Are you gonna, like, come over?"

"Yeah, just lemme get dressed and I'll be right over."

"Sounds good," Louis murmurs. "See you then."

"See you soon, love you."

"Love you too," Louis says quietly, embarrassed to say it when his mum is standing right there, picking up some dirty clothes from his floor. Jay snickers, though her expression is still fond. Harry hangs up, and Louis sets his phone down. "I'm hungry."

"You can't eat, pumpkin, I'm sorry," Jay smiles sympathetically. "Afterwards."

Louis groans, slipping under his duvet and pulling it over his head. He would give anything to go back to sleep. Jay pulls the duvet so his head isn't covered anymore, and Louis whines. "Baby."

Louis pouts, but he looks up at her. His mother is beautiful, he thinks. She sits on the edge of his bed and runs her fingers through his hair, and he preens under the attention, her hand warm despite the coolness of the house. "How're you feeling, boo?"

"I don't know," Louis sits up a little, eyelids still heavy with sleepiness.

"It's okay to be nervous," Jay's voice is soft. His mom is kind of the best.

"I don't think I am, though," Louis shrugs. "I'm nervous about the recovery and stuff, but the actual surgery, I don't know. I don't really feel anything strong about it."

"Hm," Jay nods. She's quiet for a few moments before pushing Louis' fringe out of his face. "I think you're very lucky to have Harry."

Louis can feel the corners of his lips turn up just at the mention of Harry. He nods in agreement. "I think so too," He replies. Jay smiles at him. They both hear little feet padding towards the bedroom, and Louis sits up a bit more to see Ernest enter, rubbing his eyes.

"Ernie, babe," Jay furrows her eyebrows. "What're you doing up so early?"

"Gotta say g'bye to Achoo," Ernest explains sleepily, walking over to the bed and climbing up into Louis' lap. Louis laughs a little, wrapping Ernest up in his arms. Ernest looks up at him. "You gon' be okay?"

"'Course, mate," Louis smiles. "I'm gonna be just fine."

"Daddy said that...um...me and Doris can come visit you after school," Ernest leans into Louis' chest, and Louis' heart melts. This kid is his best friend.

"That's right, E," Louis chuckles. "Phoebe and Daisy are gonna come with you too."

"M'kay," Ernest sighs softly. Louis stands up, now holding Ernest on his hip. He carries Ernest out of his bedroom and to the one the youngest twins share. Doris is fast asleep, her thumb in her mouth. Louis sets Ernest down in his bed, tucking him in.