fifteen

"Can I ask you a question?"

"Sure," Harry shrugs. They're driving to the emergency room, Lottie having woken up from all the commotion downstairs when the ambulance came. She asked Harry to take her with him, and obviously Harry agreed.

"What if..." Lottie pauses for a moment, looking down at her lip and fiddling with the hem of her shirt. "What if Louis isn't well when the baby comes?"

Harry twists his mouth. "Then we wait for him to get better," He says quietly.

"What if he never does?" Lottie's voice is shaking. Harry doesn't say anything for a moment. "You're practically a member of our family, and you're honestly one of my best friends, and I'm so scared that Louis will get to be too much for you and then you'll leave."

"I would never do that," Harry assures, and he's positive of that. Lottie and Louis are so different with how they're feeling, Harry has realised. Louis usually holds everything in while Lottie speaks what's on her mind. "I have no doubts that me and Louis are gonna be together for a long time, no matter what happens with him or the baby. You guys aren't gonna lose me, Lots."

"I'm so scared," Lottie admits. "I've been looking up this kind of cancer, and it's so dangerous, and I don't know what I'd do if I lost him. He's gonna be such a good dad, and I hope he gets the chance to be."

Harry can feel his eyes fill with tears. He sniffles, taking a deep breath. "I hope he does too," He says, choked up. "Louis' the strongest person I know, though. I have a lot of faith in him."

"I didn't mean to make you cry," Lottie frowns.

"I'm okay," Harry laughs, taking one hand off the wheel to wipe his eyes. "'Ve been crying so much recently. Think it's hormones or something."

"I'm so excited for the baby," Lottie says, clearly trying to segue into a more lighthearted topic. "I was so hoping it would be a girl. I'm going to make her into another me."

"Because that's just what we need," Harry giggles.

"Stop!" Lottie laughs. "She's gonna be so cute. You should have me in the delivery room instead of Lou."

"You'd certainly be entertaining," Harry hums.

They arrive at the hospital, getting out of the car and walking to the emergency room. "Hi, I'm looking for Louis Tomlinson," Harry says to the woman at the front desk.

"Are you his relative?" She asks.

"She's his sister, I'm his boyfriend," Harry explains. The woman twists her mouth.

"I'm sorry, love, but it's family only," She says. Lottie frowns. Harry steps back from the desk, sighing softly.

"Oh, okay," He sighs, making sure he's standing back far enough for her to see his body. He runs his hand down his stomach, accentuating the bump under his jumper. "Thanks anyways."

The woman sees his bump. "Actually, you can both come on back," She says, and Harry can't help but smile to himself a little. "Follow me."

Lottie looks to Harry, and he just smirks at her, both of them following the lady behind the desk and down a short corridor. "He's right in here, loves," She smiles at them.

"Thank you," Harry grins.

"That was smooth," Lottie mentions once the woman is gone, opening the door to the room. Louis is laying in a bed, an oxygen mask over his face. He looks up and smiles wearily at Harry and Lottie, giving them a small wave.

"Lottie, you should be sleeping, babe," Jay says softly, frowning.

"I wanted to see Lou," She pouts. "Harry wasn't even allowed to come back here because he's not a relative. He pulled the pregnancy card."

Louis can't help but laugh, holding his hand out in a fist. Harry smiles and fist bumps him. "So what's going on?" He asks.

"Louis' lungs were filling with fluid," Jay explains. She sounds and looks so tired, Harry feels terrible. "They're draining them right now."

Louis points to a tube going under his t-shirt, looking up at Harry. "Very cool, babe," Harry laughs, leaning down and kissing the top of his head. Louis reaches up and puts his hand on Harry's stomach, grinning tiredly. "You gonna be okay?"

"Mhm," Louis hums softly, closing his eyes. Harry's phone starts ringing from his pocket, and he takes it out to see its his mum. He furrows his eyebrows, why should she be calling so early in the morning?

"I should take this, I'm sorry," Harry grand Louis' hand and squeezes it before answering, walking out of the room and shutting the door behind him. "Hello?"

"Why are you at the hospital?"

Harry rolls his eyes. He forgot about his Mum and her tracking app. "Louis had to go to the ER."

"Why?"

"Because he has lung cancer, and his lungs were filling with fluid so he couldn't breathe, so I called 999."

"He has cancer? Why wouldn't you tell me?"

"You barely talk to me anymore," Harry deadpans. "I didn't think you'd care."

"I don't think you being his caregiver is right, especially in your condition. Why didn't his mother call 999?"

"You're right, I should have waited and asked his mum to do it, leaving him in his room when he can't breathe."

"Harry. Don't give me that attitude."

Harry sighs, pinching the bridge of his nose. "I have to go," He says. "I'll see you when I come home tomorrow." He hangs up before she can object, sighing and collecting himself before going back into the room.