nine

Louis wakes up to lights that are way too bright. He feels numb, everything does, and his head is pounding. His eyes blink open, and he sees his Mum sitting next to the bed. She's on her phone, not even noticing that Louis is now awake. Louis is so glad she's so invested in her phone while she's there to take care of him. Maybe she just wanted to get out of going to work (he's joking, he totally appreciates that she and everyone else are there).

"Hi, Mumma," He says, voice hoarse. Jay's head whips upwards, and she smiles.

"Hi, baby," She greets, putting her phone down on the table and standing up to be closer to the bed. Louis reaches for her hand, and she takes it. He feels drunk, except not as sad. "How do you feel?"

"I dunno," Louis mumbles. "Where's Harry?"

Jay chuckles. "He left to get some food with Lottie and Fiz, should be back soon. Want me to text him and tell him to come back?"

"No," Louis tries to shake his head. He's not fully aware whether or not he does. He can't feel his head. "No, let him eat. He needs it."

"Okay, love," Jay grins fondly, leaning down and kissing Louis' forehead. Louis looks down to see a tube going into his chest, and he wrinkles his nose.

"I don't like that," He points at it.

"There's nothing we can do about that, babe," Jay looks amused. "I'm sorry. You'll probably get it taken out in the next couple days."

Louis groans, rolling his head back. Jay runs her fingers through his hair. "The meds have really kicked in, huh?" She chuckles, watching as Louis blinks slowly.

"I can't feel anythin'," He says. The door opens, and Harry walks in with Lottie and Félicité trailing behind him. Louis gasps. "Hazza!"

Harry raises his eyebrows. "Hi, babe," He greets, walking over to the bed. He leans down and pecks Louis' lips. "How're you feeling?"

"He's on a lot of pain meds," Jay warns.

"So good," Louis murmurs, grabbing Harry's hand slowly and kissing the back of it. "Now that you're here."

"Oh, Christ," Lottie rolls her eyes.

Harry giggles, and Louis pulls on his hand. "Come sit with me," He whines. Harry sits on the edge of the bed, his hand still being held by Louis. "I dreamt about you while I was asleep."

"Is that what I'm skipping school for?" Félicité asks exasperatedly. "My education, overlooked by Louis flirting with his boyfriend, high on pain meds."

"I had a dream that the baby looked just like you," Louis whispers. Harry's eyes are soft with fond, an amused grin on his lips. "Had little curls and green eyes and everything."

"Sounds lovely," Harry whispers back to him, kissing his knuckles. "I'd like the baby to look a bit like you too, though."

"I'd be fine with them looking just like you," Louis' eyelids droop, a lazy grin on his face. "You're so beautiful, baby's gon' be beautiful, I'm so lucky."

"You are definitely drugged up right now," Harry giggles. Louis scoffs, closing his eyes and smiling when he feels Harry stroke the back of his hand with his thumb.

"If you're tired you should sleep, baby," Jay says. Louis pouts, shaking his head slowly. His head feels as heavy as his eyelids.

"No, no," Louis mumbles, eyes still closed. "I'm okay, Mum. Wanna...talk."

"You should sleep a little," Harry says softly, brushing Louis' hair out of his face. "You've been through a lot today, you need rest."

"Keep petting my hair," He mumbles.