eighteen

"Harry, could you empty the dishwasher when you're done eating?"

"Mum, he can barely bend down," Gemma shakes her head. Harry loves when she comes home for a few days. She's always on his side. "I'll do it."

Anne doesn't say anything. Harry mouths a thank you to Gemma before finishing his breakfast and bringing his plate to the sink. "Okay, I'm going to Louis'."

"You're always over there," Anne shakes her head, taking a sip of her coffee. "How about you stay home today? Gemma's home, we could all spend time together."

"I have plans, Mum, you know that," Gemma says, her mouth full. "I told you last night."

"We can hangout tomorrow?" Harry offers. Anne doesn't look satisfied. Harry sighs. "Is there a problem, Mum?"

"I just don't understand why you have to be over there all the time," Anne shrugs. "Is there something wrong with our house?"

"No, there's nothing wrong with our house," Harry has to restrain from rolling his eyes. His mum is trying to guilt-trip him. "Louis' my boyfriend, and he has cancer, so I'd like to spend as much time with him as possible."

"Okay, and just because your boyfriend's ill means you can practically move out?"

"He's not just ill," Harry crosses his arms over his chest. "He has lung cancer, and a 30% chance of making it." Anne finishes her coffee and sets her mug in the sink, her expression not changing. Gemma watches from the kitchen table, glancing back and forth between Harry and Anne.

Anne sighs. "I know you probably feel obligated to spend time with him, because of the cancer and the fact that you're pregnant, but-"

"Him having cancer and me being pregnant have nothing to do with me wanting to spend time with him," Harry scoffs. "He's my boyfriend. We hung out just as much before everything, and you didn't have a problem with it then."

"Because it was harmless before," Anne finally snaps. "And now its like you're trying to play adult. You're not an adult, Harry, and you can't just leave the house whenever you want. You're seventeen."

"You never gave a shit about what I did before I was pregnant!" Harry exclaims. "Louis' mum has supported me so much, much more than you have, and that family loves me, and doesn't treat me like I'm a disappointment!"

"You are a disappointment, Harry!" Anne yells. "How could I not be disappointed? You've gone and gotten pregnant at seventeen. Why couldn't you have just gotten with a nice girl and been the way I raised you to be?!"

Okay, ouch. Harry doesn't even know what to say. "If Johannah's such a good mother, why don't you just move in there? See how much better it is over there, since that whole house seems to have no morals or structure, and clearly they've rubbed off on you."

Harry can't keep his bottom lip from trembling a bit. He swallows thickly before turning around and grabbing his keys off the counter, storming out of the kitchen.

"Harry!" Anne calls from behind him. "If you walk out that door, don't come back!"

Harry leaves, slamming the door behind him.

Harry gets out of his car, wiping the tears from his face and taking a deep, shaky breath before walking to the door. He rings the doorbell, sniffling. It's pouring out, his hair is getting soaked. He knows that if he had texted Louis that he was coming over, Louis would have told him to wait, because the roads are so slippery. He just had to get out of that house.

Jay opens the door, her face softening when she sees Harry standing there, wet and teary-eyed. "Harry, honey," She coos, stepping aside to let him in. Harry steps inside, pushing his wet hair out of his face while Jay closes the door. "Are you alright, love?"