-xviii.

omg i interrupted again sorry but this chapter talks slightly about drugs, so i'm sorry if it offends you!

at eight in the morning, minhyuk and i went to get ji hae. i was nervous, really nervous, but i couldn't stay.

we knocked on the door, and as usual, ji hae came running.

"minhyuk, what are you doing here so early? and isn't it a school day?" his mom asked. neither of us were prepared for this question, how much more dumb could we get?

"uh, i took the day off at work and skipped school because i wanted to see ji hae. sorry mom, won't happen again," he said and smiled.

"okay, be careful," his mom said and he shut the door, carrying ji hae. he sat her in the car seat, while i got in the passenger. soon after he got in the drivers and turned to ji hae.

"ji hae, listen. we aren't staying at home anymore, we're going somewhere else," he said.

"it's gonna be like a lifelong vacation," i said, trying to help minhyuk.

ji hae looked confused, so to focus her on something else i said, "we can get a bunch of snacks on the way!"

she cheered, and i smiled.

"well, let's go," i said and turned to minhyuk. he smiled and drove off, to who knows where.

———

we drove for hours upon hours, at least it felt like it. to be real, it was only about two or three, maybe four hours.

"okay, let's stop at this gas station," minhyuk said and parked the car. he got out to put gas in the car, and i went inside with ji hae. she immediately went to the candy section.

minhyuk came in and met me and ji hae in the candy isle. as they looked for candy, i noticed two people, a girl and a boy, staring us down. they looked to be about our age.

i looked away, pretending to look at candy. after a minute, i looked again, and this time they were closer.

"minhyuk," i said.

"yeah?"

"i think your ex is here."

minhyuk looked up, and i could tell right then and there that minhyuk recognized her.

"we gotta go," minhyuk said and lifted ji hae up.

"i want candy!" she shouted and hit minhyuk's back.

"we have to go now, ji h-"

minhyuk was interrupted by the voice of the girl who was staring at us.

"minhyuk, what could you possibly be doing out here? so far from home?" she asked.

"nothing, min hye. if you don't mind, we'll be on our way." we started walking again, but her words stopped both of us.

"i want the kid, minhyuk."

he turned around, giving me ji hae. i felt his anger rise by the second. "oh, you want her now all of the sudden?"

"i'm the one who gave birth to her, am i not?"

"you're also the one who abandoned us both, remember that?"

"i've changed my mind."

minhyuk scoffed. "changed your mind? yeah, right. have a kid of your own with the guy you chose over us so you could snort drugs with him."

i looked at min hye's boyfriend, who could easily do a lot more damage to minhyuk than hyungwon could.

"minhyuk, we should le-" i realized minhyuk wasn't paying any attention to me, as he was still arguing with min hye in a public setting.

i didn't know what to do, but i knew this wouldn't end up good. her boyfriend hadn't done anything yet, but i knew he would, and soon. the look he had on his face when he looked at minhyuk scared me. i shook minhyuk's shoulder to get his attention.

"what, haewon, what," he snapped with a glare on his face. i hadn't seen this side of minhyuk so i didn't know what to say. i only stared into his angry, and to be honest, scary, eyes. i didn't think i'd ever want to be away from minhyuk, but i really, really wanted to right now. i hadn't said anything, so he went back to his argument.

"minhyuk," i said, my voice wasn't even that loud but he still turned to me.

"spit it out, haewon!" he snapped again. his eyes held even more anger, and i was honestly more scared this time. who would've thought someone could be scared of someone with the personality of minhyuk's.

the more i looked at him, the more fear i felt. i knew if i didn't talk, minhyuk would either snap at me again or continue his argument.

i didn't know what to do, so, with my voice barely above a whisper, i said, "nevermind, i'll see you in the car."