XVI

Can't ever get it right
No matter how hard I try
And I've tried
Well I put up a good fight
But your words cut like knives
And I'm tired
As you break my heart again this time

-Tell Me a Lie, One Direction

"Ouch!" I gasped, pulling away from my ladies-in-waiting.

"Sorry, Your Grace." Laura, the youngest and my favourite, squeaked out.

"It's just a bit tight," I muttered, fiddling with the laces on my back.

Cara, the older one, stepped towards me, taking the laces from my hand. "It's a corset, Miss. It's supposed to be tight, that's the latest trend."

"Corsets were in fashion a millennia ago." I retorted.

"Yes," Laura pulled at the laces, "And now they've been brought back."

I took a deep breath, "Seems like British women hate breathing."

I tried to hold my tongue as the two of them continued to pull at the corset, until I could practically feel my ribs pushing into each other.

They finally stepped back. "All done, now we just need to throw on the actual gown and you'll be ready."

I nodded, focusing on my breathing. What pathetic human thought it would be a good idea to bring women-killing machines back into fashion?

I was surprised I hadn't collapsed already.

I'd woken up with a bit of hope in mind. I knew everyone in the castle would be very busy preparing for my rehearsal dinner which was supposed to be taking place at night. If I could somehow get myself out of the whole preparation process, I'd have the whole top floor, my parents' room specifically, to myself. I was going to search every inch in the little time that I'd get, for any evidence to prove my father guilty. Perhaps a note. A weapon. Blood. I needed to get Ryder out of the mess he'd been dragged into, all the while bringing my father to justice.

"You look absolutely stunning!" Cara complimented, pulling me from my thoughts.

I looked myself up and down through the mirror before me. I actually loved the dress, it looked beautiful. With the lace sleeves and the beautiful waterfall-like effect of the fabric. It was cinched tightly at my waist and pooled out reaching my feet. It was beautiful  I would've loved it even more, if I was able to breathe with ease. And not to mention...if I was actually going to marry someone I wanted to.

"Thank you so much, ladies. You've outdone yourself this time." I smiled, taking a seat on my bed, ready to go back to sleep.

"Not so fast, Princess." Laura laughed. "We still need to do your makeup and your mother's requested to wash out the dye."

I wasn't sure washing my hair would make much of a difference, but I didn't bother protesting.

Two hours, fifty hair products and buckets of makeup later, my hair was back to its real colour (I had no idea how), pulled up into a magnificent up-do and my face was set with a dewy makeup look.

"All done!" Cara announced as she spirts another layer of hairspray onto my hair.

I coughed as I inhaled a bit of it. "Thank you, truly."

Laura squeezed my hand before she and Cara left my room.

I glanced at the clock on my wall. It was just past noon meaning it was time for me to head to the banquet hall and put my plan into action.