XXIV

I hear the preacher say, "Speak now or forever hold your peace." There's a silence, there's my last chance. I stand up with shaking hands, all eyes on me. Horrified looks from everyone in the room, but I'm only lookin' at you

- Speak Now, Taylor Swift

It had been three weeks since I'd last heard from or seen Ryder.

I'd sent him an invitation to the wedding, but at this point I highly doubted he would come. I tried visiting his place back in the village, but each time, John or Dahlia would answer saying Ryder was out. I didn't understand why he left without saying goodbye.

He'd told me that he loved me.

Maybe he didn't.

I didn't blame him. It made sense for him to want nothing to do with the Royals. We'd tormented over a year of his life. Still, at the very least I'd expected we'd remain friends.

Guess not.

Despite not taking the crown, Ryder and his family were presented with enough money to keep them happy for well over fifty years. It was the least my family and I could do.

The wound Olivia had caused was on a quick journey to recovery, although it still hurt to bend down on rare occasions.

Now here I was, sitting in front of my vanity, getting ready for the big day. It was about five in the morning and I wasn't even half-way done with getting ready. The wedding began in four hours and things were very rushed and stressful. The moment I was dismissed from the hospital, I was sent to try on numerous wedding dresses whilst my father and Francis took care of most of the actual wedding preparations.

"Any word from Ryder?" I asked Laura in whisper, turning away from my reflection, already knowing the answer.

"No, Your Majesty." She smiled apologetically as she helped me fasten the chain of my necklace, "I checked the mail this morning, I'm so sorry."

I shook my head. "That's okay."

I decided it was best that I move on as well. If he didn't want to talk to me, I didn't want to try talking to him.

"You look absolutely beautiful, Your Majesty!" Laura awed, pulling me away from my thoughts. "Just need to get you into your dress, do your hair and do your makeup."

I groaned internally. If it were up to me, I'd choose to show up at the wedding dressed in some classy sweat pants.

Four hours, a load of hairspray, one white dress and layers or makeup later, I was ready.

Physically I was. Mentally? Not so much.

My coronation was set to be a week from the wedding, which only spurred more nerves. I was getting cold feet.

What if I was making the biggest mistake of my life? What if Ryder had tried to contact me but the mail didn't come through? What if he was hurt?

"Diana?" Ronan called. "Are you okay? It looks like you've seen a ghost."

"Oh you know, wedding stress." I sighed, fanning myself with my hands.

"Well, the crowd's ready for you." Ronan shrugged.

My father wanted to stay in the hall and manage everything that was going on.

I looped my arm through Ronan's, clutching onto the bouquet of flowers my father had bought me.

"Ready?" Ronan asked.