XIX

I'm running for the crown
Running for the crown
So hit me on, hit me on my bones
When I'm sitting on, I'm sitting on my throne
I'm running for the crown
-Crown, Camila Cabello

"Diana?" Ronan gaped. "What the hell are you-- you can't be here!"

Without warning, Ronan shoved me back into the barn, ignoring the fact that Francis was there. He looked like a mess. His hair grown out, eyes bagged and lips chapped. 

I didn't know if I should laugh or cry. My brother was alive. Ryder would be set free. All hell would be over!

"Diana, why are you here?" Ronan demanded in a whisper. "And who is that?" He asked nodding at Francis.

I stepped up to him, raised my hand and slapped him across the cheek.

"What the hell was that for?" He scowled, stepping away from me.

"That was for being alive!" I exclaimed. "And that's Francis, my, now-ex, fiancee."

"Hey, nice to meet you, I guess." Francis said, offering a hand to greet Ronan.

Ronan didn't spare him a glance, ignoring Francis' hand and keeping his eyes trained on me. "I thought you would be happy to see me alive. Not bordering on murder."

I stepped towards him again, throwing my arms around his neck. "Of course I'm happy that you're alive, you piece of crap! You have absolutely no idea the year I've been having."

Ronan returned my embrace, his grip stronger than I'd remembered. "I'm sorry, Diana, truly. I know what's been going on, at least some of it. I've been listening to the news."

"Then what the hell are you still doing here? Hiding?" I demanded. "Come home! It's literally a minute away."

"Don't you think I'd have a good reason to be out here?"

"And what might that be?" I asked, placing a hand on my hip. "What reason is good enough to allow your own sister to endure a load of torture, and an innocent guy to take the fall for a crime that no one committed?"

"My mother, she's demanded that I play dead."

"I don't understand! Why would she want everyone to think you're dead?"

"Diana. I can't just tell you everything."

"Yes you can, you're just choosing not to!"

"I can't!" Ronan protested. "Not in front of him!"

I turned to look at Francis. "Why? He's on my side."

"I don't trust him, you shouldn't either." Ronan scowled.

"I can see that I'm unwanted." Francis raised his hands in protest. "Diana, I'll wait out on the porch for you."

I nodded, "Thanks, Francis."

"Ready to explain what the hell is going on?" I asked, turning back to Ronan.

"Take a seat, there's a lot to explain."

I begrudgingly sat on one of the only bare seats, crossing my legs and looking up at Ronan. He headed to the fireplace, lighting it, before sitting across from me.

"Okay, where should I even begin?" Ronan wondered aloud.

"Why don't you tell me what you've been doing the past year?" I suggested.

Ronan sat up, scratching his beard. "Well, I've just been here, in this little hut thing. Mother's been visiting me every so often, stocking me up with some food and spilling her schemes. Aside from that, really nothing."