XXII

And I know that you're gone, but I swear that you're here

It's a feeling that won't disappear

And you're bringing me back to life (back)

I was looking for something that I couldn't find

It's a feeling you give me inside

-Back to Life, Hailee Steinfeld

"Where did your brother go?" Ryder asked as I leaped into the cell with him.

I had asked one of the cell guards to unlock his cell, which they surprisingly complied to.

I didn't answer at first, just throwing my arms around his neck, pulling him close. Before I knew it, I was sobbing against his chest.

"Diana?" He whispered, returning my embrace. "Diana, what's wrong?"

I pulled away ever so slightly. "What's right, Ryder? Everything's gone to hell. Ronan fled. My mother's ordered for you to," I hiccuped. "To be hung after about four hours."

Ryder's eyes widened in shock. "Four hours? I thought I had until tomorrow?"

I shook my head. "She got mad at me and this is her way of retaliating. I'm so sorry."

"There's got to be something we can do! Why don't we try to make a run for it?"

"There are guards patrolling every exit of the castle, she's maximized the security." I lowered my head, averting my gaze. "And she says we've got a half hour to say goodbye."

A moment of tense silence passed between us.

"Guess, we'll have to make the best of the thirty minutes then." Ryder muttered.

I couldn't bring myself to look at him, too ashamed and disappointed.

Ryder used his index finger to lift my chin making me look up at him. He said nothing as he looked between my eyes and brushed away a strand hair that was falling across my face.

"You look beautiful," He whispered.

I felt my cheeks heating up under his intense gaze. I knew he was lying. I probably looked like roadkill.

"Can we...could we just sit down?" I asked, the words barely audible. "I just want you to hold me for a bit."

He nodded as we both took a seat on the cool concrete beneath us. He pulled me towards him so that my back was pressed against his chest and firmly wrapped his arms around my waist. I leaned back resting my head onto his chest. I tried to calm myself down by listening to the rhythmic beat of his heart.

I'd never felt so distraught. I struggled to find the words to say. What were you supposed to say to someone you knew you'd never get to speak to again?

"Have you talked to John recently?" I asked after a moment of silence.

"I tried to. But when I last made the attempt, he refused to look me in the eyes. He's heartbroken, Diana." Ryder took a deep breath, rubbing circles into my sides with his thumbs. "Promise me something?" He paused. "Promise me that you'll look after my father, and Dahlia. Please?"

Those words undid the control I had placed on my body. And I began to cry. My body trembled in his grip. I told myself not to break down in front of him, but I couldn't control myself.