The Winter Formal

Y/N's POV

The days came and went. It was two weeks before Christmas break was to arrive, and as usual we began to prepare for our winter formal. It was like... Christmas prom, so that's fun. I recently started secretly dating C/N, so that's been really exciting! I love having something of our own you know? No one to interfere or break us apart. I'm sure he's going to ask me. Why wouldn't he?

PETER'S POV

Today was the day. It had to be. As much as I hated it. I really like her, and I think taking her to that winter formal thing can help me express that. I'll take her there, and we'll dance the night away. Then after it's over and we're sitting outside I'll scoot closer to her on the bench to keep her warm. Then I'll start to tell her how I feel as snow starts softly falling around us, and then she'll, hopefully, say she feels the same way, and I'll smile and then I'll-

"Hey Peter, you may want to stop daydreaming about Y/N she's on her way over to the table." Ned laughed.

"No- uh, I wasn't- uh, I wasn't daydreaming," I laughed awkwardly as Y/N sat down next to me.

"Hey guys..." she seemed like she was trying to be calm but she just radiated this pure joy filled energy.

"What's up nerds?" MJ sighed as she sat down completing our group.

"Not much... except I'm going to the dance with C/N!" Y/N beamed with excitement. My heart shattered but I smiled and tried to hide it.

"Nice" MJ smiled

"Yeah that's cool..." I mumbled and moved my spork around my mashed potatoes. Ned gave me a sympathetic smile and sighed. She talked about how he asked her but I didn't hear a word. I just tried to block out the world.

"Oh, Peter! Claire said she needed to see you at the coffee shop down the road at 3:15, can you be there?"

"Hm? Oh yeah... sure," I sighed and gave her a fake smile. She giggled and began to eat her lunch. I can't believe I was stupid enough to believe that I'd be the only one to ask her. She's perfect for Pete's sake! I really just wanted to reverse time and ask her this morning in gym, but I knew that was impossible. I didn't eat any of my food.

At the end of the day I made my way to the coffee shop where Claire already had a table for us.

"Hey Peter!" She dragged out the "hey" for a long time.

"Hello Claire."

"Can I ask you something?"

"I... I guess."

"We're friends right?"

"Yeah..." I was quickly growing skeptical of her intentions.

"So friends help each other right?" I nodded. "Excellent! So with that being said, can I be your date to the winter formal?"

"No-no I don't think-"

"Come on I've never gotten to go to one of these things since I'm homeschooled! Besides you really are only my technical date, that way you can get me a guest ticket." She smiled a nauseatingly sweet smile. "Pretty please?"

I sighed "Ok then... I'll meet you at your apartment at 6:30." I walked out of the coffee shop. This was all wrong. I guess rejection happens all the time, but this just stung.

I called Ned and told him the whole story. He wasn't helpful.

~~~~~~~~~~Day of the dance~~~~~~~~

Y/N's POV

I threw on my (Favorite/color) dress and walked out into the livingroom, where my date should be. No one was there, well no one except my brother.