In Women We Trust

*I know that that's  a picture of the Château de Dampierre, just be patient and you'll understand at the end. Something that we all understand is that I'm not creative enough to create the Harry Potter franchise, JK Rowling's beautiful mind did.*

Hermione needed to tell her parents about the law. She knew that they would love her no matter what, she just didn’t want them to think less of Draco. Over the past few months, she had almost forgotten about the law because he treated her so well. They didn’t act like a couple forcibly arranged by an international act initiated to expand the world’s magical population. They acted like they loved each other because they did love each other. Hermione just hoped her parents would understand that. But, no matter how much she loved Draco, Hermione couldn’t lie to her parents to attempt to protect him. Draco was a strong man and he didn’t need to be protected.

Hemione walked into the posh restaurant and Draco was already standing by the hostess, waiting for her to arrive. She greeted him with a peck on the cheek and the hostess lead them to their table. Hermione busied herself by rereading the menu over and over but she couldn’t distract herself. 

Draco noticed Hermione’s out of character behavior and placed a comforting hand on her thigh, “Everything will be alright.”

“But you don’t know that. If they don’t like why we’re together they could ignore our relationship entirely.”

“That won’t happen. If they want to see their grandchildren, they’ll at least keep in contact.”

“What’s this I hear about grandchildren?” Mrs. Granger asked as she approached the table with her husband. “Hermione, if you’re pregnant with my grandchild, you shouldn’t be drinking,” The older woman said gesturing towards Hermione’s wine glass.

“Mum, I’m not pregnant but we do have something to tell you two,” Hermione said in a stern voice.

Mr. Granger chuckled, “This sounds serious, honey.”

“It is dad. Do you remember how Draco and I met?”

Mrs. Granger nodded, “Yes. you told us that a friend set you two up.”

“Yes, Luna did but that’s not the whole story. During the war I sent you two to Australia to keep you out of harm’s way and you never saw the aftermath of the battle. A large portion of the population was lost and then a dragon pox outbreak set population growth back even further. The International Confederation of Wizards initiated the International Population Expansion Act in an attempt to drive the population back up.”

Mr. Granger gave his daughter a puzzled look, “What does that have to do with you and Draco?”

Hermione sighed, “Our relationship was arranged by a team of experts and we have to follow a five year timeline to have a child. Before you two ask a myriad of questions, I just want you to know, that even though Draco and I’s relationship started because of a stupid law, I understand why we were matched and even if you don’t approve of him anymore, I don’t care because I love Draco.”

Hermione’s mother gave the couple a sweet smile. Over the last few months, Jean had seen Draco and Hermione fall in love with each other, “I couldn’t care less how you two got together, what matters is how you treat each other. If either of you treated this relationship like an inconvenience, I would have objected to it from the beginning.”

Hermione looked towards her father with pleading eyes, “If your mother is okay with it, so am I. I’ve learned over the years that she knows more than I do so I trust her judgement. And you, my clever little bean, are every bit your mother’s daughter so I trust your judgement too. I just want you to be happy.”

Her parent’s words relaxed Hermione. She loved her parents her parents deeply and the image of losing them again sickened the witch to her core. The rest of the dinner went off without a hitch but Draco became increasingly quiet as the evening went on.

“Draco, dear,” Mrs. Granger said with a concerned smile, “You don’t have to worry, we still like you.”

The blond chuckled. “Thank you Jean, but that’s not what’s on my mind. I had a business proposition come up today and it’s overtaken my train of thought, I apologize if been a bit absent this evening,” Draco replied.

“Why don’t you tell us more about it? We might be able to help.”

“That’s very kind of you but I think I should discuss it with Hermione first.”

“We’re all going to be family soon enough,” Hermione said, “You can tell them too.”

Draco took a long sip of his wine and spoke, “An old client of mine came into some financial troubles and they’re trying to sell a hotel they were remodeling. It’s a lovely property in a very touristy area. It could be a very smart investment but it will take a few months to get it up and running.”

Hermione raised an eyebrow, “How much is this little business venture going to cost?”

“That’s a great question,” Mr. Granger started, “I’d hate for you to rack up an extreme amount of debt before you two buy a house. You’d never get approved for a loan if you needed one.”

“The money isn’t an issue. My family holds a few silent partnerships in a variety of companies. I just want Hermione’s approval before making this large of a purchase. It’s something that could affect generations to come.”

“How much is this purchase going to cost?” Hermione asked for the second time.

Draco took a deep breath, “Around forty million.”

“Pounds?” Hermione asked. Draco gave her a sheepish grin and nodded. “If you truly think this is going to benefit our future then I’ll allow it. My only conditions are that I need to see the property before you purchase it and we have to do this together.”

Mr. Granger’s eyes bulged out of his head, “You’re not really letting him do this, are you? It’s forty million pounds. You should leave that money to your children not-”

“Daddy,” Hermione interrupted, “You said earlier that you trust my judgement. Yes, this is a lot of money, but it’s also a great opportunity to leave something for future generations not just our future children. Please just trust us.”

*I'm going to model the hotel after the Château de Dampierre, that's why it's there. 10 brownie points for anyone who guessed it.*