Chapter 3

Nova POV

My eyes wandered up towards the ceiling straight away. It was hidden behind clouds of stars with navy blue pigments, in other words, it felt like I was peering out into the night.

Just a few people ahead of me I could hear Hermione explaining to an uninterested girl about how the ceiling got it's effect, completely ruining it's realism. In front of them was Harry and Ron, who were whispering to each other about something, I sighed as I looked to the girl next to me who looked timid as she gazed around the sea of faces.

We soon came to a halt, not before everyone shuffled into a larger group just in front of where Professor McGonagall was standing with a long scroll.

"Before we begin, Professor Dumbledore would like to say a few words." She said loud enough for the whole hall to hear.

Behind her i could see an old looking man with a long white beard rise from his chair.

"I would like to start off with a few start-of-term notices." He said in tired voice.

I tried listening to him but my attention was drawn to all of the features of the room. I turned around for a short second to find my brother, and I saw him sitting at the Gryffindor table with Fred and George.

Then I wondered if I'd get into Gryffindor. Mum and Dad had, Dad went through hell because of it. I decided that it would be best to get into Gryffindor, maybe it will make Dad happy if I do.

Professor McGonagall began to speak again: "Now when I call your name, you shall come forth. I will place the sorting hat onto your head, and you will be sorted into your houses."

She held the scroll of parchment up so she could see the names.
"Hermione Granger." She spoke, first.

We all looked over to the bushy-haired girl who was muttering to herself as she took a seat on the stool.

The sorting hat started to talk as if he was thinking out loud, but moments later he shouted out: "Gryffindor!"

Sounds of cheering errupted everywhere, but it was loudest at the Gryffindor table. She quickly hopped off the stool with a smile on her face then took her seat at the table.

Next to be sorted was Malfoy, I saw how he swaggered up to the stool and took his seat with an emotionless face. While the hat was being placed on his head, it randomly shouted 'Slytherin!' inches away from his platinum blonde hair. A smirk appeared on his face as he also hopped off the chair and took his seat at the Slytherin table.

Another two people were quickly sorted, one of them being Ron who had a relieved look on his face when he learned he would join his brothers in Gryffindor.

After that it was Harry's turn. I swear the hall went silent as Harry nervously took a seat on the stool.
The sorting hat seemed to make more small talk with Harry, I could tell that it was leaning towards Slytherin but Harry was whispering not to be in Slytherin. How ever much the hat insisted, Harry was eventually sorted into Gryffindor. He smiled and joined Ron and Hermione at the Gryffindor table.

It seemed that after Harry had been sorted, everyone had lost interest in the sorting and began to break off into their own quiet conversations. A few more students were called up, some Ravenclaw's and Hufflepuff's and-

"Novalia Starr." My eyes widened when I heard my name.

I gulped down my newly discovered fear, then pushed my way through the smaller crowd of first years.

As I began to walk up the stairs I could hear cheering of my name coming from the Gryffindor table.
Everyone's attention was turned towards my dork of a brother who giving me a thumbs up. I shaded my eyes with my hand to try and hide the light pink if my cheeks, as I sat on the wooden stool.