Chapter 9

Second Year

"Hermione's been what?" I asked with disbelief.

"Petrified. She was petrified, now she's in the hospital all frozen and shit and it's probably my fault again and I-" Ron rambled on before I cut him off.

"Ron stop feeling sorry for yourself, even if it was your fault, which I'm sure it wasn't, it doesn't matter. None of this will help Hermione. The best thing you two can do is try and figure whatever the hell is doing this to students."

I eyed both boys with a rigid expression as I tried to sound as serious as I could while also reassuring my friends. While Ron nodded unconvincingly, Harry smiled at my gesture, he looked as though he was shying away.

"Are you coming to the hospital wing with us?" Harry asked hopefully.

"I would and I probably should but I'm desperate to know if Malfoy opened the Chamber. If it is him, I have to start planning what to curse him with."

"How will you find out?" Ron asked dimly.

"I'll just ask him." I replied as if it was obvious.

"Just like that?"

"Yeah. I'm not bloody scared of him if that's what you're implying. He's just a proud, stuck-up bully that's all. He's nothing without he posse of dickheads anyway." I scoffed.

"If you're that comfortable with confronting, would you mind telling him to piss of and leave us alone?" Ron asked with irritation remnant in his tone.

"I wish it were that easy Ronald. Insulting you and other students here is probably part of his positive affirmations even though it's as ironic as it sounds."

"Nova's right, there's no hope for Malfoy," Harry added, "he's well overdue a reality check but it will be funny when he finds out the world does not, in fact, revolve around him."

"I couldn't have said it better myself."

The three of us all hurried away from the Great Hall. Ron was still violently patting down his robes, checking for spider's webs that may have snuck into the folds. I still couldn't come to terms with the lives of those two: only 15 minutes ago they were being rescued from a band of Acromantula's by an enchanted car, the very car the two flew in when arriving to Hogwarts.

Then again, I was reminded that I was attending a school with wizards and witches while I myself was hiding the fact that I was related to the renowned 'chosen one', I suppose anything is possible. 

Just over a year had passed since my first year, also marking the miraculous event of Harry finding the Philosopher's Stone which was some relic that could keep you alive. If I'm completely honest, I was too busy avoiding him merely because I had to hide my relation with him even from him - I'm happy to report that I did not give myself away and it is still Layla who is the only person that knows.

 Actually, that might not be completely true. As suspicious as its sounds, I'm near certain that Hermione was onto me when she started asking lots of questions about my heritage. Being the good friend I was, I politely told her to fuck off but she was and remains insistent on finding out. It's just by chance that she's been petrified, I swear.

When the smooth wall beside us began to emerge and retreat into itself arbitrarily, we were welcomed by the enclosing structure of the cobbled surfaces leading to the Slytherin common room. I smiled in recollection of when the boys first visited the common room, although I only knew of it after they had come and gone.

"I still can't believe you two passed as Crabbe and Goyle. Malfoy clearly isn't as shrewd as he makes himself seem." I laughed upon remembering what a fool Malfoy was for believing their ruse.