The Avatar

(Katara's POV)

(A/N) Probably not going to make a habit of doing peoples POV besides (Y/N) and Zuko. I just needed some ~exposition~

We have to save Aang. I stared at the water. "We have to go after that ship Sokka, Aang saved our tribe, now we have to save him."

I still couldn't believe that he's the avatar. Finally, I can have hope again.

"Katara I-"

"Why can't you realize he's on our side"

Sokka cut me off and showed me that he was already packing. He motioned to the canoe and told me that we should go save Aang. For once my imbecile brother did something I could admire. I ran to hug him.

"What do you two think you're doing?" I heard Gran-Gran's voice from behind me. Oops...

"You'll need these" she smiled while handing us sleeping bags. "And please, you need to rescue that girl. She's Katya's daughter. I can see it." I didn't actually know Katya, but growing up mom would tell me stories about her. She was her best friend, before she left the water tribe and married a man from the fire nation. That explains why that girl could water bend. And why she's with Zuko. And she's from the southern tribe. That means that I'm not the last southern water bender. I nodded to Gran-Gran. We decided to take Appa, instead of that canoe.

(Y/N)'s POV

I followed Zuko to his quarters, where a guard was bringing the Avatar's staff. Zuko closed the door.

"What is your problem (Y/N)?"

"My problem? You have got to be joking Zuko. What happened to you? Oh poor baby, your father banished you and stripped you of your title. My father died, with my mother, while I watched," tears blurred my vision. Zuko opened his mouth to speak but I cut him off. "Why do you have to hurt all these people? And the Avatar? He's our last chance of defeating your father. You have got to realize that your father is crazy by now?"

"(Y/N). He is my father."

"I don't care Zuko. He's not there for you. You know who is? You know who has always defended you? Me. No matter what you've done, I've helped you. You terrorized innocent people, but I could never bring myself to harm you in any way. I'm banished because I helped you. But all you care about is your honor. You're father can't give you your honor back Zuko. Only you can."

"(Y/N)-"

Suddenly the Avatar burst into the room. "My staff!" He turned and saw us.

Zuko turned to him, "looks like I underestimated you," he blasted fire at the Avatar who quickly dodged it, but still clearly fearful of Zuko. Zuko continued to blast at the Avatar who air bended himself across the room. I saw a flame heading for the Avatar. He wouldn't be able to dodge it in time.

"Enough!" I used water from a bottle I always keep around and stopped Zuko's fire. I looked back at the Avatar. "Run." He did.

"(Y/N)? Why?"

"Why? We literally just had a conversation where I told you why? Do you suffer from short-term memory loss?"

"I didn't think you'd betray me like that."

"I'm not betraying you Zuko. You've betrayed yourself. Killing the Avatar won't bring you anything."

"I won't let anything stand in my way. Not even you (Y/N)." He stood in a fighting stance getting ready to fire bend. But nothing came out.

"Zuko?"

"I-I" He tightened his fist, I stood still. He couldn't do it. He was still in there. I knew it.

"I'm sorry Zuko." I froze his hands to the wall.

"(Y/N)? Come back!"

Tears welled in my eyes as I turned away from Zuko. I ran to help the Avatar, who's name I learned is Aang. I helped him fight off the soldiers. When we had finally finished he grabbed his staff and got ready to fly. Then he looked back.

"What about you?"

"You don't need to worry about it. I'll join you soon,"

Reluctantly, he nodded and started flying. I watched in awe, which quickly turned to horror when I watched Zuko run and jump off the ship grabbing onto Aang, dragging him back to the ship.
"Zuko, stop."
"No (Y/N)." I jumped at the coldness of his voice. He went to fight Aang. Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye I spotted... a flying fluff ball? The hell? I don't even know what my life is anymore.
"Appa!!!"
Oh it's Aang's fluff ball. Cool. I heard Zuko exclaim something in surprise. I wasn't really listening. His surprise was short lived though, I watched him run towards Aang, in attack. He knocks him over the ship. I turned towards Zuko. Who stood in a defensive attack, "You're unbelievable. Have you learned nothing? I'm surrounded by ocean Zuko, you can't beat me."
I heard the girl from the village exclaim from the flying fluff ball, clearly in dismay over Aang's demise. I heard rumbling then I watched as Aang rose from the water, his eyes and tattoos glowing. He attacked the ship and its crew, including Zuko. He used powerful water bending. I'd never seen him use anything but air bending so I have to assume the glowing thing had something to do with his mastering the element so quickly. I believe that the bending must be short-lived as well. Zuko tumbled overboard but I watched as he clutched onto the side of the ship. The fluff ball landed on the deck, and Aang collapsed. I watched as Zuko climbed up the ship, but the boy from earlier jabbed him three times, sending Zuko plummeting down again. But, as I knew, Zuko was persistent. He hung on tightly to the chain that anchors the ship. I looked back at the Water tribe girl, who was struggling to freeze the guards. I chuckled, then froze them for her. She flashed me a half-smile. Then, Aang and the two water tribe kids climbed onto the fluff ball. I glanced back at the ship and then up at them,
"Got room for one more?"
Aang smiled. "Always"
I climbed on the fluff ball, which is actually a flying bison named Appa, but tomato, tomato.
"Appa, yip yip! We lifted off the ground and into the air. Cool. I looked back at the ship and saw Iroh finally waking up from his nap. I was going too miss the old man. Iroh helped Zuko on the ship. I heard Zuko look at the ship and start to yell "shoot them down," but then he and I made eye contact. I watched as his eyes flooded in confusion, and even sadness? I wasn't sure.

With me on the bison, Zuko didn't shoot us down, and it wasn't long until we were in a safe position. I had learned that the Water Tribe girls name is: "Katara" and the boy's: "Sokka".

I looked back to where Zuko's ship was. It was barely a dot now.

"(Y/N)!" I turned around to see Zuko running towards me. Once he got within arms length he pulled me in for a hug. I gasped.

"What was that for?"

He gave me a weak smile, "I know it's been a year since your parents died, and I thought you might want some company."

I smiled at him, touched that he remembered.

"I would love some company," I said and he pulled me in for another hug.

"(Y/N)?! Hello, Earth to (Y/N)!!" I snapped out of my trance, and turned to Katara.

"Hm?"

"Your mother," my hand moved to my necklace, "was her name Katya?"

I looked at her in confusion, "how did you know that?"

"Katya was my mother's best friend growing up."

"Wait, you're Kya's daughter?" She nodded.

"Hey! And I'm Kya's son, thank you very much." Sokka said.
I rolled my eyes, "how is she? I didn't see her,"

Katara gave me a weak smile. "My mother is dead."

"Oh," I felt something break in me. Kya could have told me more about my mother. I looked up at Katara. "Mine too."

We sat in silence for a bit.

I looked at Katara and Sokka and smiled a bit. Can you believe it Mom? I found them myself.