Six.

Back on Earth, the quinjet arrives at the upstate New York Avengers HQ. Meanwhile, Colonel James "Rhodey" Rhodes deals with the red tape in the holographic person of Secretary of State Thaddeus Ross.

"Still no word from Vision?" Rose asks.

"Satellites lost him somewhere over Edinburgh," Rhodey answers.

"On a stolen quinjet with four of the world's most wanted criminals," Ross quips.

"You know they're only criminals because you've chosen to call them that, right, sir?"

"My God, Rhodes, your talent for horseshit rivals my own."

"If it weren't for those Accords, Vision would've been right here."

"I remember your signature on those papers, Colonel," Ross reminds.

"That's right. And I'm pretty sure I've paid for that," he agrees, sounding a little bitter. It is now that Ross gets good look at Rhodey's leg braces.

"You have second thoughts?"

"Not anymore."

The fugitive Avengers enter the room. Vision is being supported by Falcon.

"Mr. Secretary," Steve greets.

Ross' eyes narrow. "You got some nerve. I'll give you that."

"You could use some of that right now," Natasha remarks.

"The world's on fire. And you think, all is forgiven?"

"I'm not looking for forgiveness. And I'm way past asking for permission. Earth just lost her best defender. So we're here to fight." Steve takes a step forward, looking right at Ross. "And if you wanna stand in our way. . . we'll fight you, too." Rhodey hides a smirk.

"Arrest them," Ross orders Rhodey.

"All over it." Rhodey swipes the hologram, turning it off. The computer beeps twice. "That's a court-martial. It's great to see you, Cap." The two embrace.

"You too, Rhodey." Natasha then gets her own embrace after Steve.

"Well. You guys really look like crap," Rhodey comments, "must've been a rough couple of years."

"Yeah, well, the hotels weren't exactly five star," Sam jokes.

"Uh, I think you look great," Bruce remarks. Rhodey and Natasha long round to see Bruce walking in from the opposite end of the room. "Uh. . . heh. . . Yeah. I'm back."

"Hi, Bruce," Natasha greets softly.

"Nat," Bruce greets back, just as soft.

"This is awkward," Sam remarks quietly.

~~~

Natasha, Bruce, Steve, Rhodey, Wanda, and Vision are now in another room.

"So we gotta assume they're coming back, right?" Rhodey asks.

"And they can clearly find us," Wanda adds.

"We need all hands on deck," Bruce states. Everyone already has thought this but better to voice it than leave it unsaid. "Where's Clint?" If he were paying attention earlier, Bruce would've had the answer already.

"After the whole Accords situation, he and Scott took a deal. It was too tough on their families, they're on house arrest," Natasha explains.

Bruce remembers Tony mentioning that now. He now also fears what Tony will do to Loki if the trickster god is not careful. But he has Lana; she will be quick to stop her twin if he does something stupid. "Who's Scott?" He asks, taking longer than expected.

"Ant-Man," Steve clarifies.

"There's an Ant-Man and a Spider-Man?" Bruce shakes his head. "Okay, look. . . Thanos has the biggest army in the universe. And he is not gonna stop until he. . . he gets. . . Vision's Stone."

"Well then, we have to protect it," Natasha states the obvious.

"No, we have to destroy it," Vision argues, "i've been giving a good deal of thought to this entity in my head, about its nature. But also, its composition. I think if it were exposed to a sufficiently powerful energy source, something, very similar to its own signature, perhaps. . . Its molecular integrity could fail." Vision addresses Wanda as he nears her.

"And you, with it," she counters, "we're not having this conversation."

"Eliminating the stone is the only way to be certain that Thanos can't get it."

"That's too high a price."

Vision takes her face gently in both of his hands. "Only you have the power to pay it." Wanda walks away, distressed. "Thanos threatens half the Universe. One life cannot stand in the way of defeating him."

"But it should," Steve states, eyes diverted down. After a moment, he looks up at Vision. "We don't trade lives, Vision." Vision walks toward Steve.

"Captain, 70 years ago, you laid down your life to save how many millions of people," the android reminds, "tell me, why is this any different?"

Steve takes a breath. But before he has a chance to answer, Bruce speaks. "Because you might have a choice. Your mind is made up of a complex construct of overlays. J.A.R.V.I.S., Ultron, Tony, me, the Stone. All of them mixed together. All of them learning from one another."

"You're saying Vision isn't just the stone?" Wanda asks.

"I'm saying that if we take out the stone, there's still a whole lot of Vision left. Perhaps the best parts."

"Can we do that?" Natasha asks the scientist.

"Not me," he corrects, "not here."

"You better find someone, and somewhere fast," Rhodey remarks, "Ross isn't exactly just gonna let you guys have your old rooms back."

Steve nods to himself. "I know somewhere," he announces.

~~~

WAKANDA

T'Challa and Okoye walk together, accompanied by two Kingsguard. "You'll have the Kingsguard, and the Dora Milaje have been alerted." Okoye tells her king.

"And the Border Tribe?" T'Challa inquires.

"Those that are left," she answers.

"Send word to the Jabari as well. M'Baku likes a good fight."

"And what of this one?" They share a knowing look.

"This one may be tired of war," he admits. Bucky Barnes is seen at a small distance throwing a bag from a pile on the ground onto a partly-filled cart. Two village children are watching him do so. "But the White Wolf has rested long enough."

The party reaches Bucky. A Kingsguardsman sets an elaborate and high-tech-looking equipment case down on the cart, opens the lid, and steps back. As the Winter Soldier approaches, he sees a new vibranium arm in the case.

"Where's the fight?" Bucky asks with resignation. T'Challa looks to Okoye, a hint of a smirk ghosting his lips. She refuses to look at him; she knows he's right.

"On its way."