Chapter 14

Abby 

I couldn’t believe what I’d just heard. Taylor just told me we were dating as if it wasn’t a big deal. She just spat it out then carried on driving us to her house. Meanwhile I was holding my breath without even knowing. 

“Are you okay?” she asked turning into her street. “You look a bit flushed.”  

I wasn’t looking but I could tell that she was smirking.  That just sobered me up. I couldn’t tell whether or not to believe her. You don’t just decide to date someone without talking about it, and I knew that she definitely wasn’t a talker. That however, didn’t stop the chills that ran down my spine when I thought about us actually dating. 

She chuckled at my lack of speech and got out of the car, walked around to the passenger side and opened my door. I was astonished at how she was behaving. What happened to the dickhead Taylor that was here about an hour and a half ago? 

She held my hand and we walked up the driveway to her house and I felt so nervous that I couldn’t breathe. It felt like she was taking me home to be introduced to her parents for the first time and we all know that’s not the case. My mom is probably going to kill me if she finds out about this. I’ve only just realized that she cares more about my reputation than I did. 

Taylor tilted my head and kissed me silencing the racing thoughts that I had. “Chill.”  

She opened the front door using her house keys and we walked inside. It was quiet—too quiet. 

“Where is everyone?” I asked her. It was only about midday and there was no one here. My eyes landed on the unopened college packages on the counter. There were three of them but when I saw the one from University of Vancouver I held my breath. I didn’t even know she was interested in moving to Vancouver. 

“I don’t know but I don’t care either way.” She said, walking around the counter to the refrigerator.  She grabbed a bottle of water and took a sip before eyeing the packages on the counter. “I should probably open these.” 

“You should.” I said, trying to hide how eager I was. I pulled my hair up into a messy bun and sat on one of the stools facing her as she ripped the first one open. Her eyes skimmed the papers and she placed it back down on the counter then doing the same for the other two. 

After a while she spoke, “I got into all three.” She said, not even sounding surprised. 

“Have you decided yet?” I didn’t want to rush her, but two of those colleges were on the other side of the country. 

“No...I still have a few days to respond.” She smirked, “Why? Are you afraid you’re going to lose me?” She pouted her lips and walked around the counter and attempted to kiss me but I palmed her face, covering her lips. “Awws poor baby,” she said against my hand. 

“Taylor stop!” I said giggling, trying to run away from her. She chased after me with her pouty lips and just as she was about to catch me the front door flew open. 

“Can you believe the stunts that guy did? I wouldn’t dare surf on those waters, the waves were hu—“ Ethan stopped talking abruptly when he saw us—well when he saw Taylor. 

Following close behind him was Taylor’s mom, her dad and...Sarah? They were all dressed in swimwear. 

“Taylor,” her dad smiled. “You finally decided to grow some balls.”