CHAPTER 5

(How I imagine the ML,though a bit younger since he'd still be in his teens like our dear protagonist.)

Jiang Chen crept through the hallways, trying to remain hidden. He did not want people knowing he had left that room just yet. 'First food. Then to see if anything interesting is going to happen. If the original's memories are correct the kitchen is just down this way....' he thought. Sure enough,a few minutes later he was peeking through the kitchen door. Seeing that it was empty he snuck in and looked around. On one of the counters was a batch of cooling meat buns. "Perfect." he murmured and stole a few off of the tray before leaving and making his way to one of the many gardens,where he sat down and ate while keeping his ears open for any interesting information. It was common knowledge that the servants were suckers for gossiping.

Unfortunately, the only thing he heard of was the usual gossip. the First Young Master was caught in a brothel, the Fourth Concubine was with child, or the Second Young Miss threw yet another tantrum and beat two servants to death. Most would have stopped trying and moved on to see if they could gather better information somewhere else but Jiang Chen knew better. And so he stayed put and waited. His patience was soon rewarded. 

A pair of excited maidservants,entered the garden while talking."-Emperor's son's birthday is tomorrow. I hear they will be having an enormous festival in honor of it!" one said excitedly. The other replied in a mature tone." Bah! Even if that is so,it is not like we will be able to attend. We are just servants. I hear Old Master intends to take all of the Young Masters and Young Misses to attend." The younger of the two maids blinks in surprise. "Ah?Old Master intends to take all of them? Does that include the waste?" The elder maid immediately shushed her,glancing around urgently. "Never say that carelessly. It is known that although that particular Young Master is a weakling,Old Master is unusually fond of him. The last maid who was overheard speaking ill of Young Master Chen was killed in the most brutal manner!" she hissed,looking frantic. The younger immediately went pale and they left now speaking of other things.

 Jiang Chen narrowed his eyes and snorted softly. "Fond of who? If he was so fond of this one then why did he allow the original to be bullied so?" he muttered and stood up dusting his robes off.  Suddenly,the boy tensed. He felt eyes on him and he did NOT like it. Scanning the area warily,he  spots a boy who seemed a year or two older than him.  The boy smirked at Jiang Chen and seemed to examine him with interest. "So this is the Jiang Clan waste everyone speaks of?  You pretty beautiful for a waste." he said arrogantly. Jiang Chen glared coldly. "And what business is it of yours? Get out and leave me be. :the youth said coldly,turning and walking away dismissively.

 The arrogant boy just watched the beautiful male walk away,his smirk widening. "Your Highness....so you were here. You should not wonder off like that It would be bad if people found out who you are." a respectful if exasperated voice said. Turning around the young prince saw his best friend and personal guard,Mei Yuan. "Even if they do,who would dare go against this prince? Who has the ability?" he replied smugly. Wei Yuan sighed in fond exasperation. His eyes then turn to the rapidly disappearing.

"Why were you speaking to the waste,Your Highness?"he asked quietly. The Prince, Yaozu Longwei, smirked as he too turned back to watch the beautiful boy just before he turned a corner and vanished from the Prince's sight. "Jiang Chen,commonly known as the waste of Jiang Clan...."he murmured. "Something about him catches my attention. This Prince is sure he is different. He is not what he seems to be. "he said turning to head back to the Palace. "Your Highness...?" Mei Yuan said uncertainly. He was uncertain as to what his childhood friend was going on about. The waste is not what he seems? How was that possible? "Mei Yuan you will see what this Prince means soon enough. I will discover all of his secrets.And then...he will be mine." he whispered a sinister smile on his lips. 

Jiang Chen shuddered and looked around warily,a feeling of apprehension and unease in his heart. "Now who is plotting against me? I should be very careful....Something is going to happen...and  am sure I will not like it..."he muttered. Little did he know whose eyes he had unintentionally caught. He had no way to know that his fate had been sealed the moment he had encountered the boy in the courtyard. His new life was about to get turbulent.