CHAPTER 9

((The lady in the picture is Jiang Chen's mother. Or how I'd imagine her looking like. Picture is not mine and all credit for it goes to its rightful owner and creator.))

When Jiang Chen woke up the next morning, he immediately noticed that something was different. "What the-?Where did this jade bracelet come from?!" he muttered completely puzzled. His golden eyes stare at the unfamiliar piece of jewelry that now adorned his delicate wrist. It was not there when he went to sleep last night which meant that someone had entered his room while he slept and put it on him.  He tried to take it off but to no avail so he finally gave up and just let it be.

Sighing he decided to meditate and work on strengthening his cultivation base some more. After all.....better safe than sorry. A few hours in a knock sounded at his door,disrupting him. Jiang Chen opened his eyes and glanced at the door. "Who is it?" he asked indifferently. "It is little servant, Yuna, Young Master. Old Master invites you to join him for breakfast in his study.He orders this servant to help you dress and escort you." a young girl's meek voice replied. 

Jiang Chen narrowed his eyes. Just what was the old man up to? According to the original's memories his father never really paid attention to him. So why is he now requesting Jiang Chen's presence? It made no real sense to him. "Enter."he finally said. It didn't really matter anyway. The door opened and a timid looking girl entered. She drew up a bath and laid out a set of robes,bowed and stepped outside of the room. 

The youth stood and stripped out of his sleeping robes,sighing as he stepped into the water and bathed.When done,he dried himself and got dressed before leaving the room and motioning for the girl to lead the way. 'Let me see what that man is up to now..' he thought a cold gleam in his eyes. 

The servant girl quickly led Jiang Chen to the Jiang Clan Patriarch's study and knocked twice and spoke respectfully."Master I have brought the Young Master as ordered!"

After a moment,a stern and cold voice called out,"Come in." With the permission to enter having been granted,the girl opened the door and bowed to Jiang Chen before stepping out of the way.

The beautiful boy walk in and greeted his father with a blank expression and a neutral tone. "Jiang Chen greets Lord Father,"he said emotionlessly. He felt eyes on him but did not react until he heard the elder man tell him to stand up.

"Come here,Chen'er. Join this father of yours for breakfast."he said in a strangely gentle voice,making Jiang Chen eyes him suspiciously. The youth cautiously approached and took a seat at the small table set aside in the study,his senses on alert.

This did not escape the Patriarch's notice.Very little ever did. The older man looked at his son helplessly. This child was seriously on guard around him! Had he truly neglected the boy that much?!

((A/N: *disdainful snort* well yeah you let him be bullied for years and practically ignored his existence by turning a blind eye to it the entire time!!

Patriarch:*tries to protest*

A/N:*holds hands over the keyboard threateningly* I dare you to try and lie your way out of it!

Patriarch:*grumbles with a wronged expression but says nothing*))

Jiang Zuoji sighed and motioned for the servants to begin serving the food. Once it was served,they were dismissed and the Patriarch told Jiang Chen to eat.

Now being the paranoid man he is,Jiang Chen was wary and cautious. He waited until his father began to eat before he touched anything. However upon seeing that Jiang Zuoji was unaffected he also began to eat.

The Patriarch was unsure of whether he should be amused or sad at the realization that the boy thought he would poison him. But then again....it was hos own fault for allowing the boy to be bullied all those years. It would not be easy to earn his trust.