Chapter 2

Draco Malfoy.

Harry really couldn't resist offering to help the poor man-Harry knew that the blond would be eaten alive by anyone else. Harry, at least, could only trust himself not to kill him. Not that he cared if someone else murdered him, but he wouldn't do it himself because that would have made it completely unnecessary to save his life the previous year.

And who would want that?

So Harry went into work that Monday a little earlier than usual...as in, three hours early. Whichever dumbfuck that gave him the wrong time this time would be sorely wishing they had picked a different career...in another country...with their mommies.

By the time that Harry saw Draco wandering around aimlessly, trying too hard to seem like he had a purpose, he had dealt with every person in the Ministry building on duty that day. AND SEVEN VISITORS THAT WON'T LEAVE ME THE BLOODY HELL ALONE! WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE? So he had very little patience left at that point and his stress levels were nearing his breaking point.

He greeted the man with as much politeness as he could muster and led him towards his office so he could just relax for once. He sat down on the giant couch and heaved a heavy sigh.

"I'm sorry, I'm being terribly rude. But my day has been pushing my patience to its end. Please don't think I'm like this every day. You can sit down if you'd like. Just throw the file down where you find room." He waved around indicating to the many chairs filled with stacks of similar files. He felt the other side of the couch tentatively lower as his companion sat down cautiously.

"Um...Are you all right?" The voice that came from his throat was small and insecure, as if he expected to be hit for asking such a question. Or any question at all, for that matter.

"Yes I'll be fine. I'm just stressed from work and all the idiot fans I have to deal with. None of them know what I've seen...what I've gone through...why I decided to be an auror, I'll never know. But none of that matters so long as the job gets done and the paperwork filed correctly." Harry went silent as his mind took him to darker times.

To times of torture and hate and madmen. To a time when Harry discovered he was supposed to die. But no-he wouldn't think of that. Not now, at work. Not while his ex-rival was sitting not three feet away listening to his every word, watching his every move. Not now, but later, when no one could watch him slowly fall apart, like what had happened every night since Harry discovered that he was the unintended Horcrux.

When he was alone with no one to see. With no one to hear his pleas with whatever god may exist to end his misery. When he knew no one could see. When he knew no one would be able to hear his pain. When he knew he could curl up into a little ball and cry like a child because that would be when he didn't have to stand straight like everyone demanded he do.

No one, not even Harry himself, wanted to admit that he was clearly suffering post-traumatic stress. And that would be built from his aunt, his uncle, his cousin, Voldemort, from Dumbledore and from his heritage not coming and from his godfather dying because of his stupidity and everything else in his life. Right down to him not acting on how he felt.

Being immersed in his thoughts, he didn't feel the weight leave the other side of the couch. He jumped when he felt small, but unyielding, hands start massaging the stress from his shoulders. He stayed tense with surprise for a fraction of a second, and then promptly relaxed, not caring about anything as long as those hands continued to work the knots out of his shoulders and neck.

Harry wasn't sure how long they stayed like that, an he was pretty sure he had fallen asleep at some point, but after a long time there was loud, sharp rapping at the door. Harry jumped up as Draco stepped back hurriedly.

"What?" Harry was thoroughly exasperated with whoever had interrupted his relaxation. Before he could dwell on that too long, he heard several people shouting about a fight and spells being no use. Harry yanked the door open and stalked outside to follow the throngs of people. Soon enough he came across a group of five men arguing and fighting with each other. Someone foolishly cast a stunning spell and Harry watched, annoyed, as it rebounded.

Harry marched forward, recognizing that the only way to get these men to stop was to physically enter their personal wards and manage to tie them up separately. Then someone else could deal with them and Harry could get back to trying to control his thoughts. He shoved the men back and managed to get all but two tied and sent to the Head of the Department. The remaining two were ex-partners of Harry.

"No way am I going back to working with that phyco-freak! You deal with the insane one!"

"Oh hell no! I've covered for you working with every questionable person so you wouldn't have to! It's your turn!"

"What are you chicken?"

"Yes as a matter of fact I am! NEWS FLASH: EVERYONE IS AFRAID OF POTTER!"

Harry, very loudly and deliberately, cleared his throat. The two swallowed and turned slowly to face him.

"What about me?" They scrambled off to follow the other three without a fuss, both trying to yank the other one back to get away sooner. Draco, having seen all this, looked like a porcelain doll that got tossed into a box full of matchbox cars, and Harry wasn't sure he liked that he scared his newest partner so soon.