~ Chapter 7 ~

Two chapters in one day!!! 

Hope you like it :)

"Beep beep. Beep beep. Beep beep." My phone continued to go on and on. Cursing under my breath, one of my hands fumbled around in my pocket, trying to pull out my phone. My hand was in such a hurry, though, that my phone just fell out of my pocket and to the floor. Finally, I had access to the screen and saw that Mr. Delmar was calling me. I must be late to work. Shoot. Quickly, I swiped my finger across the screen, rejecting the call. Unfortunately, the damage was already done.

"The job is compromised!" I heard someone yell.

Something- someone- grabbed my arm, and because I was too busy with the phone, a quick harsh tug pulled me out of the car. I jumped up to my feet, knocking the guy, Damon I figured, backwards. Pierce and the other group had pulled out their guns and pointed them at me.

One of Pierce's eyes narrowed as his head tilted. "Spider-man?"

I cleared my throat and deepened my voice but not before crossing my arms. "That's me. I see there is some illegal business going on here."

"Let's just kill this fool." I recognized Mr. Gruff's voice, linking it back to a man with a brown mop of hair and mustache.

"That's actually illegal as well," I noted. They ignored me, and his henchmen pulled the trigger to their guns multiple times. Thank god for my spidey sense, or else I would have had a couple of holes in my body. I easily dodged all of the bullets, my body moving on its own accord to avoid them.

Pierce gaped at the wall behind me, now riddled with holes, and back to me, "What the hell are you?"

I smirked at him, "Spider-man." With just five webs, all their guns were flipped to the side. They stood there, glancing down at their now empty hands. I was about to restrain them all, but my spidey sense tingled and then something jumped on my back. An arm reached forward and put me in a choke hold. Pierce quickly joined Damon, helping him push me to the floor.

They only managed to send one punch at the back of my head before I bucked and pushed them off of me. Damon was sent crashing once more into the wall, while Pierce flew at the car. I sent a couple of webs pinning them down, but the start of an engine jolted me. The other group was getting away. A glance at the truck told me they left the drugs, but the money bag was nowhere to be found.

They drove away, tires squealing against the concrete as it broke me from my stupor, causing me to run after them. The driver stomped on the gas, leaving behind gray smoke in its wake. Still, I didn't give up. I pumped my arms, urging my legs to run faster.

Disappointment in myself rose as I realized that I couldn't run much longer. I was too weak. Already now, my breaths were quick. It was almost like I was out of shape, but I knew it was because I didn't have enough food in me. Before I got too far away, I returned to the building. I had gotten near the entrance of the abandoned building when the engine of the other car had roared to life.

How did they get out of the webs?

The car burst out of the building, and I sent webs at the windshield, blocking Pierce and Damon's view. The car swerved right and left before steadying again, passing by me in a haste. I sent a couple of more webs at the car's wheels in an attempt to get them stuck. However, I was unsuccessful. The wheels ripped them easily.

With a glance at my web shooters, I realized I only had one web left with me. Looking up, I saw the truck leaving. One more chance.

Throwing my hand out, I shot a web at the door handle. Then, I started sprinting after them, hoping that a red light would show up soon. Sounds of honks filled the streets as I trailed behind the car. Pierce, however, had no mercy on me and sped up.

"I'm sorry!" I yelled as I jumped over a car to get closer to Pierce and Damon. They curved to the right, causing the tires to emit a loud squeal, and I followed.

"Oops, sorry!" I said as I ran in front of another civilian car, causing it to come to a sharp halt. Again, I came with a panicked realization. I would not be able to do this forever. They would get away eventually. Perhaps my strength would be enough to stop them.

I waited until we got to a street where there were less cars than before. Digging my heels into the floor and bending my knees, I leaned back, trying to stop the car. Instead, the door of the truck popped out, hurtling straight at me. I sidestepped out of its way and saw it slam into the ground where I had been standing merely seconds ago. Sheesh, thank god for my spidey sense or I would have been crushed.

Huffing, my eyes could only follow the car as it left me. I had failed once more. Again and again and again. Why couldn't I do anything right? Why did it-

BEEP! BEEP! BEEEEEP! "Get out of the way, jerk!" Someone yelled behind me, making me realize I had stopped the traffic, standing in the middle of the street.

"Oh! Sorry!" I apologized and hurried to the sidewalk. I sighed and walked over to a bench, sitting down. I ignored the voices that turned excited when they spotted me and glared down at my hands, as if they were at fault for what had happened. I knew in reality I was the one who was at fault.

I heard a soft voice call, "Mister Spider-man, I saw this come out of the car you were following. Is it yours?" My head rose, and my eyebrows jumped at the sight before me. A young girl, maybe at the age of four or five, was holding out one of those white packets. I held out my hand, and she placed the packet in it.

I gave her a smile, even though she couldn't see it behind me mask. "Yes, it is! This is really important. Thank you so much. You did an awesome thing today."

A grin broke out on her face. "Really?!"

"Of course, little hero," I said with a grin. At least I wouldn't be left empty-handed now. 

Her eyes looked down at her fit, which were scuffing the ground. "I'm not a hero."

"Huh, mkay. Well, I can sense a hero when I see one, and you certainly are one." A spark lit in her eyes, and I ruffled her hair, standing up.

"Meredith! Oh my, where did you go? You had me so worried." I presumed the father, came, grabbing her sides and lifting her up to his chest. When he saw me, his eyes widened. "Oh! Spider-man, a pleasure to meet you. I'm sorry she bothered you."

I deepened my voice again. "Oh, no problem. She wasn't a bother at all. Great kid you've got there." I winked at Meredith, causing her to blush and giggle.

He smiled. "Yeah, I know."

"Well, I must be off. Have a good day," I bid them and turned to leave, looking down at the white package in my hands, wondering what the hell bixons are.